Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Hosting issues - 2010 Corporate Edition

Copper Contributor

Hosting issues - 2010 Corporate Edition

(Forgive me if this is not the correct area to place this but I assume it is)

An ACT tech told me many people self host on a local machine but I can't find the directions or guide.Can someone please tell me where I can find it?

I am thinking about upgrading to corporate edition because I need a web based version of ACT since I have outsourcers in the Philippines.

I am aware that there are Act hosting partners however I cannot justify $35+ per month PER USER.

Anyway, I have found a hosting company that offers customizable VPS with the specs to accommodate it for $35 per month.

I would be working on this machine (not using ACT) throughout the day but will have my virtual assistant using ACT. ACT tech told me many people self host on a local machine. Can someone please tell me the pros and cons of hosting on my local machine as opposed to getting a VPS to host the program on?

Sincerely,

Georgie

Silver Contributor

Re: Hosting issues - 2010 Corporate Edition

Pros - Potentially cheaper and no recurring consts unless something breaks

COns" security, - vulnerability if a single machine, costs os self administration, support, vulnerability in the event of disaster or loss of building, power, flood.

With just one remote user, I"d say go for it, your risks aren't that great and if you have the time and don't need the support or high availability of a data center that the hosting providers provide.

With higher number of users, I"d say if the extra value of the  ACT tool can't  justify $35/per per each user, I"d say either you arent using it to the best of it's ability, or you probably just done't need it.

With highernumer of users, a hosting provider is going to bring you near total uptime, backups, security of a data center, support from ACT professionals and many more features.  In most cases we are able to demonstrate value many time more than the potential cost.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Hosting issues - 2010 Corporate Edition

Hello Georgie,

If you would like some information about ACT! for Web, take a look at the following Knowledgebase article. This article contains not only installation instructions, but links to support articles and the website administrators guide:

How to Install ACT! by Sage Premium for Web 2010

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.