Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Hosted Online v18 Layout upload doesn't work

Copper Contributor

Hosted Online v18 Layout upload doesn't work

I've attempted numerous times to edit or upload a layout file, to no avail. I can design it in the desktop version, and follow the apparent steps from the online version to upload the layout, and it even shows a progress bar as if there's some activity taking place, but when I look at the list of available layouts on my online database, the one that supposedly uploaded is not there. Furthermore, when I attempt to modify the layouts that are listed in the online version's layout editor tool, the screen is white and nothing actually loads into the editor. Anyone else experiencing this issue? If so, has anyone been able to resolve it?

Administrator

Re: Hosted Online v18 Layout upload doesn't work

Hi beb-jdcpa,

Did you provide a backup of your Act database when you opened your Act Premium Cloud account? Was you layout included in this backup?

If not, how are you uploading the layout?

Regarding the web layout editor displaying a white screen: Are you using Internet Explorer with the recommended settings as detailed in the following Knowledgebase article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38231

Platinum Elite Contributor

Is the desktop version a sync copy of the online one? If not, the layout wouldn't have the right field order.
Copper Contributor

I've modified the layout on my desktop since uploading the data file. Should I re-upload the data file to get it to be the same as my desktop version?

Administrator

[ Edited ]

How are you uploading the layout? Are you using a remote database offline client?

If you are trying to upload though the Layout Designer (File > Open > My Computer), then this will only work if the layout you have designed was created on a backup or empty copy of the same database that is being used as your hosted database. If you've created a new database to design the layout, then it cannot be applied to a different database,  as the underlying field order and system names of the fields will be different and therefore incompatible.

Copper Contributor

The database was originally designed on my desktop. The database was uploaded to the hosted site. Upon opening the database using the layout on the hosted site, it was clear that choices made in designing the layout did not prove attractive on the hosted site. Attempts were made using the hosted site's tools to modify the database. The screen is white when the contact layout file is loaded into the layout designer tool. So changes were made on the same database as was uploaded, on the desktop version of the layout designer tool. Then the revised layout file was selected from the hosted site's layout tool to "upload" the file. A message box displayed leading me to believe it was in fact uploading the layout file from my desktop machine. Then again the list of layouts does not include the newer version on the hosted site's file list. The layout designer tool's screen is again white when the "upload" process was complete. Therefore, the layout created on the same database as was used to populate the hosted site would not upload to the hosted site and could not be applied to the hosted database.

I believe I just want to use the desktop version and bag the hosted version. How do I do that?

Administrator

If you contact our sales team, you can request an offline client for your Act Premium Cloud subscription. This will allow you to have a desktop installation of Act, and also be able to access your data though the web interface. You can use the desktop client to edit the layout and sync it to the server so that it can be displayed in the web interface.