Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Host Provider Refused To Update To v18.2 Service Pack

Copper Contributor

Host Provider Refused To Update To v18.2 Service Pack

I'm not going to mention the company name but I find it completely absurd that I'm held hostage because my Act host provider refuses to apply the latest update/service pack because it's "inconvenient".

As a paying subscriber, where I pay an annual fee to have the most updated version of Act at all times, I find this completely unacceptable. The problem here is that I was originally use Web Premium but find it lacking in many ways. So I prepared a remote database, installed the desktop version of Act only to find out that my desktop version is a higher version number than what they are providing. Therefore, I cannot sync the database.

Their response is simply for me to go through the trouble of versioning down to 18.1. What the heck is that?!?! I would lose all my clients if I responded that way.

So, this begs the question, what would be involved in changing host providers? Can I host it directly through Swift Page instead? Is that even recommended? I purchased the subscription through an authorized seller but they aren't the host provider.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Administrator

Re: Host Provider Refused To Update To v18.2 Service Pack

[ Edited ]

Hi Jag,

I can't comment on why your third-party host has chosen not to upgrade to v18.2, but I can give you some details on our hosting service, known as Act! Premium Cloud.

In order to move your database on to our platform, we provide a webpage where you can upload a database backup. We then restore this to your account instance. This is done as part of the onboarding process.

I would like to make it clear that the Act! Premium Cloud platform is currently also running on Act! v18.1. We have chosen not to update this to v18.2 in order to focus our operational resources on improving overall platform stability, and reduce downtime for our customers. The next update to Act! Premium Cloud will be v19.

If there is a particular issue that you are experiencing in v18.1 that has been resolved in v18.2, then I would point this out to your third-party host and ask them to reconsider your upgrade. For the most part, the v18.2 update does not bring any significant changes to your usage case, as the update mainly focused on introducing Act! Connect Link and addressing a number of situational defects.
You can see all the changes introduced in the v18.2 update here: http://kb.internal.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36573

Bronze Super Contributor

Hi Gary,

You wrote "In order to move your database on to our platform, we provide a webpage where you can upload a database export"

Did you mean "In order to move your database on to our platform, we provide a webpage where you can upload a database Backup"

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Administrator

Thanks David,

I did mean that. I've amended my post to fix the mistake.