Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Hit the 4gb sql limit in ACt 2008 premium

Loyal Listener

Hit the 4gb sql limit in ACt 2008 premium

My  client has accidentally hit the 4gb limit on his ACT! 2008 st database (it says ST and runing on windows server 2003 but seems to be sql express)

there is 1.2gb of sync data partially synched to the last of three client machines. The clients seem to have <3gb of data when this sync is added.

My option seems to be to install SQL 2005 full version on the server, there is a document that goes through this for sql 2008 but I can't find one for sql 2005, is there one?  I found a manual creation of the ACT7 instance but this involves removing ACT! from the server which sounds like it will remove the sync data and I will lose data and have to recreate the remote machine databases.

This will allow me to complete the sync then we can look at moving to ACT! 2010

Help and suggestions welcome

TIA

Paul M Tate
Loyal Listener

Re: Hit the 4gb sql limit in ACt 2008 premium

{UPDATE}

UK Support have said to use the document How to Manually Create the Microsoft® SQL Server® 2005 (Standard Edition) ACT7 Instance document 192...

-  
 Starting at thepoint 2/3 of the way down, where it says STOP in red and uses the command  -   SecurityCmdLnApp.exe

with a new password.

I have done this but Actdiag seems to think it is still the SQL Express version.  

The consultant was adament that the full version of sql did not need installing, is he correct and has the 4gb limit been removed?

tia

TIA

Paul M Tate
Platinum Elite Contributor

Remember sync clients will only have SQL Express (even with ST) unless running Windows 2003...

So, if the ADF is >4GB, you'll need to create sync sets to reduce the suze of the remotes

Loyal Listener

3 out of 4 of the remotes are fully synched and databases are <3gb so I am hoping this is temporary while we upgrade to 2010.

The jump to 4gb was caused by accidentally adding every record to a group then deleting them from the group causing the server to barf on the synch.

I just need to get him running by Monday and not sure if I need to install sql 2005 then run the command line utility.

Plus the same Sage consultant said we could load SQL 2005 on the workstations as well.

TIA

Paul M Tate
Platinum Super Contributor

SQL Server 2005 Express definitely has a 4gb database size limit (SQL Server 2005 Express Overview).  To go beyond the 4gb limit you will have to install SQL Server 2005 Standard. 

You went through the steps for manually creating the Act7 instance in Standard, so I assume that SQL Standard is installed.  SQL Express and Standard can coexist on a server, before you manually created the Act7 instance in Standard did you remove the Act7 instance from Express - sounds like it may still be there with Actdiag pointing to it.

Greg Martin
Sage
Loyal Listener

you misread, I have NOT installed SQL 2005 full edition, the Sage UK Tech Support said all I had to do was start the document after the SQL Install at the red STOP
TIA

Paul M Tate