Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

History bug??? No customized activity types recorded

Copper Contributor

History bug??? No customized activity types recorded

I feel like I should just keep this page open to record problems with Act...

I just noticed that all of the histories recorded for customized activities are being entered as "Calls". The filter does not reflect any "Other" types of activities. Has anyone else encountered this bug, and is there a solution (version 10 sp 1) 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: History bug??? No customized activity types recorded

That sounds like you used the default results when you created your custom activities. The results are what becomes the history types, not the custom activity name.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Unfortunately, I don't believe I used the default "results" (at least not for the few that really concern me). The database simply seems to have converted all the customized activity types to "Calls", not even the actual "To Do". You might want to check your own database, as this seems to have happened so uniformly that it has to be part of the programming.

Given the work that I have done with reports and with custom activities I would have long ago found the problem if it was general. It sounds like it's specific to your database which could indicate a damaged ro corrupted database.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thanks. I've worked with a lot of databases in my time (written quite a few myself), and I have to admit that Act is the first one where the most common reply always is that the database must have been corrupted. I've notice that both the database gets corrupted as well as the preferences files all the time. I can't figure out what is wrong with the programming that this is a question. I think it has something to do with underqualified programming, which is also reflected in the fact that the dbms actually consumes way too much memory. Thanks anyway for the advice. I don't think that the database is corrupt right now.

You might try the daem database and see if the same thing happens.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Demo. Tried that. Been there. It never indicates anything. But if you pester the managers at Sage enough, you'll normally be told that there is some bug that is due to Microsoft and that you should wait for the next version of Act to fix it....

What you originally described doesn't make any sense to me. I can't duplicate what you're reporting. Would you provide the exact steps you go through to get to where you see the problem?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

I wish I could replicate this or say when it happened, but I cannot. There definitely is (was) some form of data corruption, but that is a generic diagnosis (like my saying that there is something wrong with the dbms). I have no idea what the corruption could be, although the database has gone through several generations of "re-creation" because the dbms doesn't actually work correctly and need to be regenerated in order to eliminate inconsistencies in the relations.

I believe but cannot be certain and haven't the time to test all of this, that there are errors in the code that handles items like recurring events--this was long ago acknowledged to be some sort of an unspecified problem by the code team. They thought they fixed it, but (as I mentioned before), I'm guessing that they do not use certified MS programmers... they are always complaining that MS keeps changing the db platform. While that is, to some extent true, it is an indication that they are not able to keep up-to-date on these changes, and as a consequence, the dbms will inevitably fail in one way or another from time to time. Otherwise, I haven't any explanation why the discussion groups are full to bursting with users who databases and database settings are corrupt. Sage is just lucky that its product is in use mainly by small businesses with a low proficiency in computers, and that this has generated a large pool of commercial technical assistants, who can find workarounds for people trying to get the dbms to work properly.

If you think that this forum gives a comprehensive overview of user experience with the ACT! program, you would be wrong. Users don't come to a forum like this to report they have no problems with the ACT! program. During the 11 years I was in ACT! technical support, I had access to information about overall problem occurance and the nature of the problems. As a general rule, only one it eight users ever called technical support and that included during the free support period. Of the thousands of calls I answered, over half were install problems, operator errors or local system problems, not an actual ACT! program problem.

As to Microsoft, while they are fairly quick to respond to security problems, for other problems they are long on denial and even longer to provide a fix. A couple of examples, when they released Windows 95 version 2, there was a bug in one of the files that would corrupt a codebase database such as the ACT! 3-6 database used. It took about 4-months for us to find the actual source of the problem. We and others like Goldmine reported the problem to MS. In the mean time we used a workaround of replacing the problem file with one from the original Windows 95. After several months, MS finally acknowledged the problem and fixed the file. Recently, the ACT! install uncovered a file handle leak in the .NET Framework 2.0. ACT! revised the install to use less file handles during the install and reported the problem to MS. Their firs reaction denial, later an unsupported fix that claimed it was specifically for the ACT! program and finally they fixed the problem in a service pack for the .NET Framework

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129