Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Here's a good one,..using iNotes (Lotus Notes) with ACT 2012 Prem

Copper Elite Contributor

Here's a good one,..using iNotes (Lotus Notes) with ACT 2012 Prem

Hello,

This is a good question for Roy or any of the other "Guru's".

I am using a Mac running Parallels for Mac with Windows 7. BTW, runs GREAT.

I want to use iNotes (Lotus Notes that is web based) in ACT. We do not use a POP Server, so I do not have a SMTP or POP Server to input the required information. With iNotes,..we simply go to a webpage and insert a username and password.

Question: Is this possible to do in ACT 2012 Prem?

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Here's a good one,..using iNotes (Lotus Notes) with ACT 2012 Prem

Hi,

I think the short answer would be to say no not possible. One potential way aorund it, and I must apologise as I am not that strong with Lotus Notes, might be if iNotes has a web API like Gmail. You could then punch in the details into the WebInfo Tab, however I still dont think you would get the full kind of finctionality like mail  merging etc.

We have implemented one site within the past year that uses Lotus Notes 8.5 (though its not officially supported by Sage) but they were using the Windows client.

I notice you are based in the USA, you could contact Don Egan at http://www.egenconsulting.com/ as he has a lot of experience and knowledge with Lotus Notes. I'll also give them a "head's up" that you may contact them and point them to this thread.

I think if you really wanted full integration, you would need to consider custom development work which can sometimes get quite pricey dependent on the task and complexity involved.

HTH.

Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog
Platinum Elite Contributor

Copper Elite Contributor

Here's another issue,...

I am using Lotus Notes for Mac,..so ACT for Lotus Notes is not an option. 

ACT! for Lotus Notes should run on Mac as well ... it runs within the Notes system as a true Notes database, so doesn't care about the OS. Even runs via browser via the Domino server
Bronze Contributor

Brian, I have a couple of questions.  When you say integrate with iNotes I assume you mean emailing and having the histories recorded in ACT, correct?  Vivek is right, you can use the Web Info tab to get to iNotes but within the product there is no way to pass thru information without additional programming.

One thing that could be done which is pretty clunky is to set up a field in ACT that is a URL type field.  If you then put in the email with a standard format like this:  mailto:emailaddress and in iNotes you have set iNotes as your email preference, when you click on the link it will open an email in iNotes addressed to that email.  However, it will not save it as a history.  There is no dialog going on back and forth between iNotes and ACT.  ACT is .Net and iNotes in the newer releases is XPages and Java.  So, it would mean writing an interface between apples and oranges.

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Bronze Contributor

You might contact LinkPoint - http://www.linkpoint360.com/

They have integration products for ACT! and Lotus Notes, not sure about the Mac angle, but I would give them a call.

Signature

Kevin, I think they only support "Versions 6.x, 7.x, 8.x (Basic & Standard Editions)" ... not iNotes, which is browser based.
Bronze Contributor

You're right, I just thought if anyone had some knowledge of connecting the two, they might be the ones.  And they're homies so I always think of them first.

Signature

Pretty sure they need a local install of the Notes client in Windows ... so not iNotes and not Notes under Mac.

These are some of the reasons I always prefer to recommend ACT! for Notes to sites running Lotus Notes ... as it's a Notes database, it supports replication, Domino web and Notes ACLs. It also now has links to MS Office and mobile versions.