Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help with importing .csv

Help with importing .csv

I am having trouble importing a .csv with 731 records in it.

I can import the .csv into a new (empty) database...but not my existing working database where we need it.

When I import into a new (empty) db, it goes through the process just fine, after the import wizard completes, there is an "importing data" progress bar, and the data imports.  I called this database IMPORT

When I attempt to import into our working database, I complete the same steps in the wizard.  At step 8 of 8 it confirms that all data types are a match and I am clear to begin the merge.  When I click "finish" the same "importing data" progress bar pops up...but never shows even a pixel of progress.  It stays up for about 30 seconds, then vanishes and I'm back at the main window, but the data has not imported.  No error message, just poof.

I've also tried to impor from the IMPORT database instead of the .csv, with the exact same results.

Do I need to take my db offline first, or take down the APFW website or something before merging?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Help with importing .csv

[ Edited ]

Hello emiller,
A couple of things you can do:
- Run maintenance on your database (Tools > Database Maintenance > Check and Repair) - run twice in a row
- Make sure you are accessing both the database and the .csv file locally (not through a network) when you do the import

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

run twice in a row?  I did not do that...will try

I am accessing the db and csv locall, yes.

do I need to lock the db during the import or something?

Platinum Elite Contributor

No, it is not necessary to lock the database. Since you can import into an empty database, this issue would seem to be specific to your database. Try importing only some of the fields - there may be a custom field in your database that's causing the issue. See if you can narrow it down.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

tried the double run of check and repair...same results.

This DID work though:
backup MAIN db
"Restore As" that backup as MAINTEMP
Do the import (successful)

Now I can just rename using your post here and I think I'm good
http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT/Renaming-a-database/td-p/96246