Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help with SQL as related to ACT! Premium for Workgroups 2007

Help with SQL as related to ACT! Premium for Workgroups 2007

I have ACT! Premium for Workgroups 2007 on a single computer. 

It had been working fine until a day ago.  I had a failure by my tax software which seems to have had widespread effects.  As part of the attempt to fix things, I uninstalled ACT!.  I just finished working with Microsoft to fix everything related to Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0. 

When I tried to reinstall ACT! I got a vague error message saying it "had a problem" and "needed to close".  I've tried several times including computer reboots and uninstall/re-installs of ACT! but can't get it to go.

I suspect that somehow my SQL connection has gotten fouled up.  I have been considering uninstalling all the SQL files I can find in Add or Remove programs and then reinstalling ACT!  Can anyone advise me on how to figure out if that is wise or stupid?  Thanks.

Wayne
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Help with SQL as related to ACT! Premium for Workgroups 2007

This is a procedure I wrote to get the most clean install possible:
Uninstall any version of ACT! from Windows Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
Use the Uninstaller.exe from the ACT! KB 19338 (the exe, not the manual uninstall)
Uninstall .Net Framework (all versions) - this does NOT apply to Vista users as .Net 2.0 is part of the OS and can't be uninstalled
Uninstall any MS SQL items from the Control Panel if still there
Uninstall MSXML Services from Control Panel if it's still there
Perform a Selective restart with MSCONFIG as per ACT! KB 14499
Install .Net 2.0 Framework (only 2.0 for ACT! 9/10) from MS web site (only XP, not Vista)-
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en
Manually install MS SQL as per ACT! KB 19386
Install ACT! 9.01 full install
Install ACT! 9 Hotfix 3 patch from the KB
Restore from Selective Startup Mode with MSCONFIG
Reboot

you might need to reinstall .Net 1.1 or the tax software needed the earlier version.

Mike, you are a wizard.  I can't tell you how grateful I am that you took the time to put together that perfect solution.  I didn't know what to do and then you popped up from halfway around the world and solved my problem.  I used your information and am totally back up.  Thanks a lot!!!

Wayne

Platinum Elite Contributor

Glad to help... most issues with ACT! are just poor implementations of the underlying Microsoft components.