Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help with New Install of ACT Premium Web

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Help with New Install of ACT Premium Web

I am trying to setup ACT 2013 Premium Web edition and am having some "challenges" getting it to sync over the Internet. 

I have sucessfully installed and access the web access to ACT on both an iPad and internet browsers(both inside my network and out) I am running Server 2008 R2

Now I am trying to setup the sync for my sales force that will allow them to use the destop version and then sync when they have an internect connection as well as when they are inside the network (ie both when they are at a coffee shop and at their desk)

I have read everything I can find but am not getting anywhere.....some of my questions are....

On the server do I need both Network and Internet sync running?

When I try and start the service on the server if act is open on the server it will not start.  So should I be using network sync or accept incomming sync under the tools menu?  It does not seem that both can run at the same time....

When I setup a remote database what is the Http:// address I should use?  I know it has to have the IP address but is there anything after the \  (in the help section it has an example but it has spaces in the example which it will not accept when setting up a remote database.) http://123.123.123.123/act%20internet%20sync/

Does Network or Internet sync need to be installed on a client machine?

any other help or sugestion would be appreciated.....

Joe

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jcalagaz
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Help with New Install of ACT Premium Web

Thanks all for the input.....

I have gotten it working (with the outstanding support from an ACT tech support guy).  It boils down to two issues that I think solved the problem. 

1.  I had to add some additional exceptions to the Server 2008 firewall. (both for the port and the "program")

2.  for some reason when the ACT internet sync installs, it has spaces between the words in IIS but you can not put the same spaces in the sync panel in ACT (it will not accept spaces) Once we added another "virtual directory" in IIS without the spaces it worked. 

On the note of not needing it to work, I completely disagree.  I have several outside sales people that only come in the office occasionally but still need the speed of a desktop application.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the mobile version and the Browser version but for heavy users that need to input a lot of data those options are to slow/cumbersome.

Just my two cents....

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello Joe,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community.

To answer your questions:

On the server do I need both Network and Internet sync running?

They would use NW sync when they are inside the firewall and Internet sync when they are outside. They can change the sync connection type in their remotes from Tools > Synchnroization > Synchronization Panel > Manage Connection Information

When I try and start the service on the server if act is open on the server it will not start.  So should I be using network sync or accept incomming sync under the tools menu?

If you have NW sync installed, then uncheck "Accept Incoming Syncs". Haveing it checked turns on application sync when ACT! is running and can cause a port conflict with NW sync (both trying to use the default port 65100)

When I setup a remote database what is the Http:// address I should use?

This would be for Internet sync only - htttp://(external IP address of server)/ActInternetSync. See this Knowledgebase article:

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the info.....

from everything you have said, I think I have done everything "right" but it still won't sync.  I have opened the port on the server, I have a static IP address, I now can sync inside the network, but I still can not get Internet sync to work. (I did reread the article about Internet sync)

how Conan I check that IIS is working properly?  I can access the mobile and browser versions from both inside and outside the network (I also did do a port check and the default port is open to the Internet .

what would you suggest next?  

Joe

Copper Contributor

Did you create a remote database for each user?

Copper Contributor

Yes
Copper Contributor

Hmm well... let's go over the checklist.

1.) start > run > services.msc and make sure the internet service for sync is running

2.) act.exe > tools > Database Maintenance and make sure database is "shared"

3.) Verify that you're using the correct IP adress in your URL setup of the sync setup.  Use whatever appears here :http://myipaddress.com/show-my-ip-address/

4.) If your ports are setup to point to the internal network address of said computer for that data from your router you should be fine.

5.) make sure that that SyncConfigFile.xml is configured correctly (that step is crucial and usually the cause of most problems)

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

tbh, I feel that internet sync's value is depreciated with the release of ACT 2013 Premium Web cuz you can just access the whole thing through a browser without the need to mess with sync sets period.  I mean I do see it's usefullness, if you have a device you would like a full copy of act on with a portable UI and a "copy" of said database (offline without internet).  But with todays technology just use a smartphone and you can pull most of the functions of said database cuz of the "mobile layout" premium web offers.  Not only that but database is in realtime update.  No need to sync to get access to updated material.

Solution
Accepted by topic author jcalagaz
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Thanks all for the input.....

I have gotten it working (with the outstanding support from an ACT tech support guy).  It boils down to two issues that I think solved the problem. 

1.  I had to add some additional exceptions to the Server 2008 firewall. (both for the port and the "program")

2.  for some reason when the ACT internet sync installs, it has spaces between the words in IIS but you can not put the same spaces in the sync panel in ACT (it will not accept spaces) Once we added another "virtual directory" in IIS without the spaces it worked. 

On the note of not needing it to work, I completely disagree.  I have several outside sales people that only come in the office occasionally but still need the speed of a desktop application.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the mobile version and the Browser version but for heavy users that need to input a lot of data those options are to slow/cumbersome.

Just my two cents....