Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help wish ODBC connection / Crystal Reports

Help wish ODBC connection / Crystal Reports

Hello,

Long story short, i need help setting up a local ACT DB for reporting with crystal reports.
We have a sales guy working remotely, my ACC was unable to get the web version of ACT up and running so we had to improvise.

I backed up our local database, sent him the file, and restored the DB onto his computer.
Now my boss has been bugging me to run reports on what he has done.

I had him run a backup of his DB then send me the backup file. 
I restored the DB file on my computer.

I just dont even know where to start when it comes to setting that DB up for crystal reports.

I know it will need an ODBC connection, but i have never had to do this before.

I have looked at this article http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22989/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzU...

But i cant even seem to find the download for ACT! viewer anywhere.

Really looking for some help on this one, i have been trying to figure it out myself, but im just not getting anywhere.

BTW we are using premium 2012.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Help wish ODBC connection / Crystal Reports

My first question is why didn't you set up synchronization with the report sales person?

Second have you looked at the ACT! report provided with the program? In mayn cases they will provide the information require?

Third the ACT! viewer is provided as part of the ACT! install.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

We hired an ACC to help us get ACT setup and running corr...

We hired an ACC to help us get ACT setup and running correctly, however he kind of dropped the ball.
Our server that hosts the VPN is sketchy at best, so having him reliably connect remotely was an issue at the time.

The person in the company who runs reports has been using crystal reports for the last 4-5 years, i dont really want to make them learn something new.

Eventually we will set him up using a remote database, but for right now this is the best we can do.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: We hired an ACC to help us get ACT setup and running corr...

Personally I would have used Hamachi to setup the remote sync, it goes through the internet rather than using a direct VPN.

What I was referring to was to try running some of the standard reports to see if they provide the data you need. Experience with Crystal reports is good but the ACT! database structure is very complex and ylu would need to setup the database table joins to extract the data you need. There is a data dictionay PDF document detailin the database structure. You can find it using a Google search. It runs 230 pages.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129