Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help! physically moved server, now web clients are unable to access databases.

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Help! physically moved server, now web clients are unable to access databases.

So for starters, we are using Act premium for web 2008 version 10.0.3.182 on Windows XP professional w/ 5 user license for act. We physically moved the server from network A to network B, which is across town. Once we setup the server at its new home, we modified the firewall appliance to allow web traffic through, changed the IP address from network A address to network B address, renamed the server from oldname to newname, all was going smoothly until we actually tried to connect to it through the web browser via http://newipaddress/apfw (not actually the hostname, just for illustration), the main logon page shows up but when we enter username and password we the error message: Could not access the specified database.

So in an attempt to resolve the issue on my own, we modified the .PAD files with the new hostname, updated ACT to the 10.0.3 release, reconfigured ASP.NET impersonation account and verified the correct account information and user right assignments in the registry; ran the Test on the Web Server and User Account in the Web Site Administration util inside of act, both passed; verified it wasn't a user in the database with the wrong password, all to no avail.

In the system event logs it appears as though it is starting up the MS SQL instance for ACT databases OK, we do however get an error with Source: AFW stating: "error occured on pageSystem. Web message unable to validate data." (!?)

Whats more is not even a second after that event is logged, an Information event with Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.9 stating: "Event code 4009, Event Message: viewstate verification failed. Reason: the viewstated supplied failed integrity check." (!?) This error goes on and on, if anybody is interested I can post the entire message. So upon further research, we uninstalled the antivirus program we had running as well as the firewall program, then disabled windows firewall, as suggested by one of many hundred microsoft KB articles I read. Again, nothing changed.

One detail that I must not leave out is that we are able to open Act premium for web application on the local machine, but even on that machine we cannot put in http://privateIPaddress/apfw (again, not the actual hostname just for illustration) and logon successfully.

It has been a very frustrating 4 hours of my life. Any idea are welcome. Thank you in advance.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author mkuhler
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Help! physically moved server, now web clients are unable to access databases.

You renamed the server, that's why it's broken, best way to fix it is to change the name back.  That being said, you can go into actdiag, and detach the database.  Then from the actual Act client, open the database (change the filename filter to .adf instead of .pad), click ok, login.  Finally, you will have to remove and readd the database from the Tools->Web site admin section from inside the Act client, so that you can login again.  After that, it should work fine, assuming SQL didn't get angry at you for changing the machine name =)
Nick Bohne
Effective Solutions, Inc.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author mkuhler
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Help! physically moved server, now web clients are unable to access databases.

You renamed the server, that's why it's broken, best way to fix it is to change the name back.  That being said, you can go into actdiag, and detach the database.  Then from the actual Act client, open the database (change the filename filter to .adf instead of .pad), click ok, login.  Finally, you will have to remove and readd the database from the Tools->Web site admin section from inside the Act client, so that you can login again.  After that, it should work fine, assuming SQL didn't get angry at you for changing the machine name =)
Nick Bohne
Effective Solutions, Inc.

Dude you rock! *High five* You hit the nail on the head.

We were unable to rename the server due to a conflict with another machine on the network, so I followed your directions, detaching the DB and remove and readd in web administration util, and it worked like a charm.

It all becomes so clear once the solution is spoon fed to you!

Thank you for your assistance, I/we really appreciate it.