Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help me choose between ACT for Web or ACT with GoToMyPC.com?

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Help me choose between ACT for Web or ACT with GoToMyPC.com?

My 3 person firm has been using ACT Premium 2007 for a year and we are about to add 6 part-time sales people working remotely across the USA and Canada. I am trying to decide on two courses of action:

PLAN A: INSTALL ACT PREMIUM 2008 FOR WEB.

I received a quote from an ACT consultant for $3680: 6 user licenses, installation, hosting set up. The monthly hosting fee would be $280. This all seems expensive ($6000 in year one and $3000 per year thereafter).

- I am also unsure if sales staff can attach outlook e-mails to the ACT for Web Database.

PLAN B: INSTALL 6 NEW PCS IN MY OFFICE AND HAVE MY SALES-TEAM CONNECT TO THESE COMPUTERS USING GOTOMYPC.COM FOR REMOTE ACCESS.

ADVANTAGES: - I would not have to up-grade to ACT 2008 and I know that I can mange the current ACT software configuration.  Moreover, I would have better control over my sale staff’s e-mail outlook accounts and it would be easy to provide staff with shared files on a standardize folder structure. I also know that e-grabber will work well (I am unsure if e-grabber works with ACT for Web). This approach, while seemingly using older technology, seem easier to manage and provides full control of all my sales staff’s files --allowing for an easier transition when staff leave and a new one is assigned the same set of files. The one time cost for this approach would be about $6000.

Any advice you can provide me would be appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author JMHachey
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Help me choose between ACT for Web or ACT with GoToMyPC.com?

I have reviewed all the limitations of Act for Web and can live with these. I am also looking for low cost, low technology solution.  

Given these considerations and the notes I wrote in my question above, what would following plan would you recommend?

PLAN A: use ACT for Web for 6 part-time sales associates

PLAN B: use ACT in combination with gotomypc.com technology (I would purchase 6 PCs installed in my office, and have my sales team access ACT using gotomypc.com)

Thanks

Actually, I would recommend a Plan C. I assume that you were looking at using a hosting service for ACT! for the WEB and that would likely require that all nine users then access the database via ACT! for the WEB. The cost that you listed for that option look to be about what I have seen. Your Plan B leave out some very significant costs, namely the cost of the six additional systems including software costs, the montly cost of Go to my PC, and the cost of a server grade PC and the server operating system. In your Plan B there wood be nine connections to the server machine and XP and Vista limits the number of connections to 10. Any future additions would force you into a server operating system so you should make that change now to benefit from the improved performance of the server operating system. The Plan C that I would suggest would be to upgrade to ACT! 2008 premium for the local users and ACT! for the WEB for the remote users. Install a server grade PC and server operating system and host the ACT! for the WEB users yourself. You would likely want to use the services of an ACC to help with the setup but the overall cost should be the least of the three options when you include all applicable costs.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

I believe ACT! for Workgroups offers a richer experience for your staff, especially if they are heavier users in your case. ACT! for Web does not work with eGrabber and if they write many form letters with MS Word, then ACT! for Workgroups will be a better experience.

ACT! for Web does not integrate with MS Word. It offers its own word processor, but the transition may not be smooth for your end users.

ACT! For Workgroups also works in a Terminal Services/Citrix environment. This allows centralized control and rapid deployment in the field.

Mark R. Mondo, ACT! Certified Consultant

The CRM Connection

Thanks Mark for your reply

My staff will not be heavy users. They work separately and use the Opportunities feature. I have reviewed all the limitations of Act for Web and can live with these. I am also looking for low cost, low technology solution.  

Given these considerations and the notes I wrote in my question above, what would following plan would you recommend?

PLAN B: use ACT in combination with gotomypc.com technology (I would purchase 6 PCs installed in my office, and have my sales team access ACT using gotomypc.com)

Thanks

Solution
Accepted by topic author JMHachey
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

I have reviewed all the limitations of Act for Web and can live with these. I am also looking for low cost, low technology solution.  

Thanks

Actually, I would recommend a Plan C. I assume that you were looking at using a hosting service for ACT! for the WEB and that would likely require that all nine users then access the database via ACT! for the WEB. The cost that you listed for that option look to be about what I have seen. Your Plan B leave out some very significant costs, namely the cost of the six additional systems including software costs, the montly cost of Go to my PC, and the cost of a server grade PC and the server operating system. In your Plan B there wood be nine connections to the server machine and XP and Vista limits the number of connections to 10. Any future additions would force you into a server operating system so you should make that change now to benefit from the improved performance of the server operating system. The Plan C that I would suggest would be to upgrade to ACT! 2008 premium for the local users and ACT! for the WEB for the remote users. Install a server grade PC and server operating system and host the ACT! for the WEB users yourself. You would likely want to use the services of an ACC to help with the setup but the overall cost should be the least of the three options when you include all applicable costs.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Many thanks Roy, you have now provided me with all the paramaters to make an informed decision and I will seriously consider your plan of action.

Copper Super Contributor

JMHachey wrote:

Many thanks Roy, you have now provided me with all the paramaters to make an informed decision and I will seriously consider your plan of action.

I would like to suggest an option that was not provided. You indicated that you're using Act Prem 2007 and all of the suggestions were to upgrade to Act Prem 2008. Is this something that you're interested in doing, or are you only doing it because you think you have to?

Using Win Server 2003, you could host your own VPN in which your 6 remote users would be able to access a shared database. This would be the same database that everyone else internally is using. This is how our current office is set up. Some people would tell you that the VPN connection is too slow, but with several remote users all set up this way, I've never had a single complaint. If you already have Win Server 2003, then you don't need the added cost of gotomypc (or any other option). Also, there's no reason why you can't use your existing Act Prem 2007 and just purchase additional licenses for your new sales people. You would save money on not having to purchase upgrades for your existing users, not to mention the time and cost of upgrading the software on each computer.