Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help me choose an ACT platform...

Help me choose an ACT platform...

I am not sure this is the right place to post, but ultimately I think I will need the Premium edition.  Here is what we presently have:

Head office and three users with ACT 6

Three remote users in other parts of the country using ACT 6.

Head office updates the database and it gets downloaded by the remote users to load up in their stand-alone versions of ACT.

1.  In ACT 2008, can the ACT database be swapped around like above considering the SQL desktop enging is now being used?  It is not used in ACT 6.

2.  If we purchase ACT 2008 Premium, can the remote users access everything by web if we implement the web version?

3.  We have a Windows Server 2003 server running SQL Server 2000.  Can this be used for both the web host for the remote users, and the database for the internal users?

4.  Does each remote user connecting by the Web still require a licensed version of ACT Premium?

Thanks for any assistence.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Help me choose an ACT platform...

r042wal wrote:

I am not sure this is the right place to post, but ultimately I think I will need the Premium edition.  Here is what we presently have:

Head office and three users with ACT 6

Three remote users in other parts of the country using ACT 6.

Head office updates the database and it gets downloaded by the remote users to load up in their stand-alone versions of ACT.

1.  In ACT 2008, can the ACT database be swapped around like above considering the SQL desktop enging is now being used?  It is not used in ACT 6.

ACT! 2008 also can be synchronised as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/3vrvkx

2.  If we purchase ACT 2008 Premium, can the remote users access everything by web if we implement the web version?

Yes, that would also work

3.  We have a Windows Server 2003 server running SQL Server 2000.  Can this be used for both the web host for the remote users, and the database for the internal users?

ACT! 2008 uses SQL 2005. You can have SQL 2000 and 2005 on the same machine. Yes, you can use the same machine for local access and Web with the Premium version

4.  Does each remote user connecting by the Web still require a licensed version of ACT Premium?

Every user needs a license for the database.

Thanks for any assistence.

Copper Contributor

R042WAL --- I would suggest that you spend an evening or two, reading threads in this Forum - as well do some homework on alternative products before you make your purchase......

What can I say, time is money and my questions have been answered.  My customer insists on staying with Act and will be upgrading.  I was quite impressed with the Web technology in the Premium version but they decided against that.
Copper Contributor

No problem - time is money - expect to spend some of each on your customers upgrade....

Enjoy and Good Luck