Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help - Unable to get ACT! menu in Outlook 2003

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Help - Unable to get ACT! menu in Outlook 2003

The add-in is installed and all settings correct, but Outlook resets the 'loadbehavior' of the add-in in the registry from '3' to '2' each time it loads.  I have installed Microsoft KB patches 907417 and 908002 but it persists.  What should I try next ????  Thanks!  Andy.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author andrew@eureka-bsl.co.uk
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Help - Unable to get ACT! menu in Outlook 2003

Solved it !!!!!   

Apparently a trial version of ACT for Web 2008 had previously been installed on the machine and whilst uninstalled successfully, it had left various registry settings referring to ACT dlls with wrong paths and / or version numbers (we now have ACT! Premium 2008).  These did not cause any problems anywhere in the program except in the ACT! Outlook Add-in.   A very manual registry clean solved it - not recommended. 

I got there by running Microsoft's Fusion Logging and comparing the Outlook.exe logs to those on a successful machine.

Sage's UK ACT Technical Support had disowned the problem and told me to talk to Microsoft - very helpful!  

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

Another UK user, (another Andy!) running 10.0.1 with Outlook 2003 (SP3) and XP (SP2).  We've had similar problems with a number of our users - and have played with the loadbehavior registry setting with mixed results.  We've reinstalled .Net 2.0, again with mixed results.  I've done one full deep-de-install and re-install with zero success.  Yet others don't seem to have the problem.  Is it something new coming down the line from Microsoft that is messing up ACT??

Also (I use Word as my Outlook email editor) I've been tearing my hair out over the fact that every time I now open a new email message (including replies) I get two consecutive error messages before the new email appears, minimised in the Taskbar.

The first message is from Outlook, warning that a program is trying to access email addresses stored in Outlook.

The second is an ACT error message - Exception from HRESULT: 0x94904005.

I can't pin this down at all as it seems to sit midway between our IT support guys and our ACT support...

Andy

Copper Super Contributor

If Word is set to be the default email editor the add in will not load properly and the menu items for ACT will not be displayed.
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA
Copper Contributor

I thought v10 solved that issue?  I used to use the Outlook editor until v10 came along but then switched 'because I could' and because of the additional benefits.  I had been using Word as my email editor for several months without problems, until very recently.

Andy

Platinum Elite Contributor

It's limited with ACT! 10. I know it works with Vista and Office 2007. I believe it works with XP and Office 2007 but not with XP and Office 2003. Sorry.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Hmm, I appreciate your responses on this but, what's bugging me is that it USED to work.  So what's changed in my setup?  (Sorry, I don't necessarily expect you to know what's changed in my system, since we are subject to random Office updates through our IT support!)  I just wondered if there was something I could tie it down to

Andy

Copper Super Contributor

I never ask "Why" with software, just look for what fixes the problem.
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA
Copper Contributor

Back to the original issue - I have NOT chosen to use Word as the Mail editor and I still have the problem!

Copper Super Contributor

Make sure you have restarted Outlook after making the options change, check the ACT address book is properly configured in Outlook 2003.
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA
Copper Contributor

I've done all the things recommended in the Knowledgebase articles with no success .....