Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help! Prospects getting unintended calendar invites

Help! Prospects getting unintended calendar invites

Hello.

Thanks in advance for any help.  I will do the best I can to explain the issue we're experiencing. 

We're running ACT 2012 Premium and using the google integration service to sync MEETINGS only.  When we have an email address populated, it will pull the captured email address onto the entry created in the google calendar.  My high value priority is for prospects NOT to get a calendar invite throughout this process.

1.  IS THERE ANY WAY TO TURN OFF THIS FEATURE ALTOGETHER WHILE STILL USING THE CALENDAR SYNC?

2.  WE'VE CREATED UNIQUE CALENDARS FOR ALL THE CALENDARS WE LOOK TO SYNC AND DON'T GIVE EMPLOYEES ACCESS TO THE GMAIL ADDRESS/CALENDAR SO THAT THEY DON'T ACCIDENTALLY CHANGE SOMETHING AND TRIGGER A CALENDAR INVITE TO GO OUT.  FOR SOME REASON THAT'S DIFFICULT TO IDENTIFY, SOME OF THE PROSPECTS STILL GET A CALENDAR INVITE (AND IT'S NOT VERY MANY)  COULD THIS BE BECAUSE THEIR EMAIL IS POWERED BY GOOGLE APPS?  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

Copper Contributor

Re: Help! Prospects getting unintended calendar invites

Has anyone found a solution to this> I just switched to 2012 two days ago and my clients/prospects are getting invites for every event, including to-do, that they are mentioned in. This is VERY bad. One of my main reasons for moving to 2012 was because I use Google as my main calendar and I was excited about the integration but now I am starting to regret the move.

We are having this same issue. Have there been any solutions provided?

Copper Contributor

Multiple posts on this same issue.

ACT sends an email invitation while synced to Google Calendar regardless of [SEND INVITATION EMAIL] being checked.

This has cost me business and I would have to assume is costing others business as it includes the notes I intend to use for the activity.

My clients and prospects get an invitation to the activity via email that looks like:

=== Sage ACT! Activity (Appointment) ===

Client Name

NOTES:

This is unacceptable and I have to believe other users are experiencing the same issue but have no clue.

Please post if someone figures this out on their own.

Platinum Super Contributor

Unfortunately, this is a Google behavior. When an activity is scheduled on the Google calendar that contains a matching email address within its contact list, it will send an invitation. We are not aware of any settings within Google to disable this function.
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Has anyone figured out a solution to this?  If this is the case ACT!, needs to stop promoting "google integretion",  YOU ARE LYING to your customers, because you do not have an effective, working google integration software.   You have a nightmare and like one of the previous posts stated, there are ACT! users loosing business over this and they don't even know it is happening.    

Most ACT! users for years have typed personal notes about the client, the purpose of the meeting, confidential information for the meeting under the "Details" tab.   Now this is unknowingly being shared with the client via email and the ACT! user doesn't even know it happens until it has already happened.

AT A BARE MINIMUM, NEW USERS SHOULD BE INFORMED ABOUT THIS BEFORE THEY SET UP ACT! AND POTENTIALLY DESTROY KEY CLIENT RELATIONSHIPS!   THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Copper Contributor

Don't worry Cstein,

Google is clearly responsible for issues with the ACT Google Calendar integration. I'm sure Google is very concerned about Sage ACT's customer base and is actively working to resolve the integration issue on Sage's behalf.

The reality is Sage Act support has no meaningful solution at this time other than to suggest 'have you tried using Outlook as an alternative'

Unfortunately, this is a Sage Act behavior. When an issue comes up that is outside of the norm, such as an activity scheduled by ACT on the Google calendar that contains a matching email address within its contact list automatically sending an invitation with no way to warn or prevent the ACT user, its clearly not their responsibility. I am not aware of any intelligence within Sage Act Community to disable this behavior from within.

Maybe Sage will make it a priority to resolve the issue in the next release as were almost into 2013.

Don't hold your breath.

Copper Contributor

We use Google Apps for our business.  So adding Outlook back in with Companion Link (or other) seems like more redundancy and ACT! even says they don't suggest I have more than one running at the same time, as is contributes to duplication isses.    I am about ready to dump ACT after using it for over 20 yrs.  I am begining to think it isn't worth the pain of trying to get them to work in harmony.   There are a couple CRM add-ons available to use in conjunciton with google,  they certainly are not as robust as ACT!, but at least I won't have to worry about not knowing if my client gets an email with notes on it that were meant to be private information for my eyes and not his.    

Obviously ACT knows this is an issue, why are they not making their customers aware of this before they allow them to execute the Google/ACT! integration knowing what is going to happen?   You have to search on a community bulletin board to find out what is going on?   Seriously? 

What if you only schedule new meetings from the Google Calender?   Once it syncs with the ACT Calender will it stay on the ACT Calender and not get updated back to Google triggering the google to send the Calender event to my customer?

Copper Contributor

Our business migrated to Google Apps early 2012 and we are in the same position, debating whether or not to drop ACT in 2013.

Right now were forced to use Outlook synced through IMAP to Google... May as well just have stayed on 2010.

We do not sync ACT with Google anymore.

Just identified a ACT workaround that defeats the purpose of ACT 2012 Google Integration all together!

Do I now qualify as a Sage Act Support Tech... hmmm

Copper Contributor

I was using IMAP with ACT! 2010 to make it work,  upgraded to the 2013 because they promoted the Google Integration which ACT! (not google)  promoted.   At a minimum there should be "WARNING before google calender integration is executed by the user know that all your ACT! scheduled events (Calls, Meetings, To-Dos) are going to be emailed to your cleints/customers including any notes made in the "Details" field of the event"  Are you sure you want to proceed?".  

ACT! knows this is happening and they don't care enough about their loyal existing customer base to warn them they could potentially damage long term business relationships if they integrate the ACT! Calender with Google Calender?    No, their marketing simply states "Work Seemlessly with Google"   They know this isn't working and yet they continue to promote it without even a warning.  It is false advertising and they need to stop promoting as such immediately and most importantly they should send out an email to every registered user of 2013 letting them know about this before they unknowingly do this.

I am sure there are hundreds if not thousands of unsuspecting ACT! users integrating their calenders.   By sending out an email notification, the 2012/2013 users would at least have a chance to proactively address it with their clients, before they start getting blindsided with "Declined" event replies or "Was I supposed to get this?" emails back from the contacts.