Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help! I cannot backup up Act Premium 2011??????

Help! I cannot backup up Act Premium 2011??????

Can anyone help me with this???? I get the following message......

The following error occurred during backup. The backup was canceled.

BACKUP detected corruption in the "database log". Check the errorlog for more information.

BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

PRC_MAINT_BACKUPDB: ERROR EXECUTING DATABASE BACKUP STATEMENT

Save the day for me and I will buy you a happy meal AND let you keep the toy....8Smiley Happy

P.S. The kicker here is the CORRUPT LOG. I can't find anythings on fixing it?

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Help! I cannot backup up Act Premium 2011??????

I look at this as 2 issues: 1. Create Backup; 2. Fix Database.

The immediate need is to create a backup, you can do this by stopping the SQL Server (ACT7) service and manually copy/paste the database files to a different location.  Then restart the SQL Server (ACT7) service to allow access to the main database again.

Fixing the database may not be as easy. 

- I would first test creating a backup with a different database to verify the issue is database specific.  Use the Demo database, create a new 'test' database, or other production database to verify creating a backup.

- Create a copy of production database.  Do this through File > Save Copy As > create copy of database with different name.
  With this copy you can test potential fixes.  First try creating a backup of the copy, does it succeed or fail?

If it succeeds, this may be the answer to your issue - use the copy as your new main database.

If it fails - test the following on the Copy:

- Run 'Check and Repair' found under Tools > Database Maintenance (on the copy). 

- Run maintenance on the database through ActDiag: KB Article 26854

- Create new ALF (log file): detach copy using ActDiag, rename ALF associated with copy, reattach database using this article: KB Article 27607

Note: You will need to download the updated version of ActDiag.

Test creating a back up of the copy after each option.  Once a successful back up can be created with the copy, apply the fix to the main database.

Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks I will try this, but I may not get to it until next week. I will updates this post. All help is truely appreciated!

Roy

GMartin...................HELP PLEASE!!!!!

No Luck!!!            Help!

- Run 'Check and Repair' found under Tools > Database Maintenance (on the copy). 

- Run maintenance on the database through ActDiag: KB Article 26854

Both of the above failed! And I cannot fiqure out what I am supposed to do to - Create new ALF (log file):?

I tried to down load the new Actdiag  here http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/ci/fattach/get/6821/ as instructed, but I get the error message "Sorry, but you must have at least version 6.0.0.0 of Act installed. Your version is     The update will end now.

My ACt version is Premium 2011 Version 13.1.111.0 Hotfix 1

If it is possible to help me here with some more detailed steps it would be greatly appreciated.....................!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Roy,
Create a new folder on the root of your C: drive and call it ACTBACKUP. See if you can back up to that location. When you create the backup, you will need to manually select this location (C:\ACTBACKUP).

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

No good! When I attempted the backup to "C" i get the same error as before.

Heres when I stand........

I installed Act locally and coppied the database locally to work on it.

I can access it and open the database, however if I run the currently installed ActDiag and then lokk at the Databases, I do not see the database that I am using?? Wierd?

Don't know what else to do?    Greig, can you help me out further with trying to create that new ADF?

Thanks..........Roy

[ Edited ]

Open the database, go to Help > About ACT!, and click the Database Information button. Look in the database settings information box and provide the following information:
Database Server Name: Is this your machine name? [name\ACT7]
Schema Version: what is the version?
Previous Schema Version: what is the version?
Database File Location: What is the full file path?
Database Log Location: What is the full file path?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Database Server Name   ACT\ACT7    ** Not my computer! This is the computer I copied it from.** Mine is "Roy-Laptop"

Schema Version   13.1.97.1

Previous Schema Version 07.04.0075.0000

Database file location C:\Act_Database\ACTDatabase_8_2012.ADF   **This is the location I copied it from on the other computer.** The actual file/folder that I moved and thought that I opened from is C:\users\Royb\desktop\Act_Database\

Database Log location C:\Act_Database\ACTDatabase_8_2012.ADF   **This is the location I copied it from on the other computer.**

Greig, Did I tell you that you might end up being my hero...........LOL

See if you can physically go to the "ACT" computer and backup the database there. Also, if the database is not local to your machine, you won't be able to see it in ACTDiag.

Greig Hollister

ACT server is Virtual. 

What next Greig? Don't give up on me now....LOL

Roy