Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help - How to migrate data from server running Act 2007, to server running Act 2012

Help - How to migrate data from server running Act 2007, to server running Act 2012

Hi,

I've got an old Windows 2003 server running Act 2007 for Workgroups (v9.0) in a client/server setup. It is serving two databases on it.

I wish to move/migrate the databases to a new Windows 2008 R2 server n which i have just installed ACT 2012 Premium for Web.

I have searched the knowledgebase articles, and whilst there are articles concerning performing the upgrade on the same machine, i can't find anything that explains how to migrate the database from Act 2007 on one machine to Act 2012 on another machine.

After reading endless KB articles (none of which seem to explain this particular process), i'm still unclear exactly what i need to do to achieve this. I used the backup database feature on the old database to export it to a zip file, but do i have to convert it before restoring it on the new server? I tried creating an empty DB on the new 2012 server, and used the restore option to try to pull the db back in, but got the error 'could not find a local header where one was expected in the zip file'. Not sure what that means other than it didn't work.

I looked at the import option, but it lists version 14 as the only format you can import a DB in, or other non ACT formats. Yet i obviously can only export rom the old server as version 9.0

How do i do this please? Many thanks in advance for any help.

Mark

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Help - How to migrate data from server running Act 2007, to server running Act 2012

You were very close to the proper method for migrating to a different computer.  Create a current backup of the database, copy the zip file to the new server, use 'Restore' option to restore the database, open the database and it will update.  Here is an article with step by step instructions: KB Article 19818

Greg Martin
Sage

Re: Help - How to migrate data from server running Act 2007, to server running Act 2012

Hi Greg,

Thanks for replying to this. I left this for a while to concentrate on other work, and have now come back to this.

If i follow the steps exactly as described

1. Backup DB on old Server

2. Copy Zip file to new server

3. Use Restore function to import DB to new server

I get the same error as i mentioned in my first post:

"Could not find a local header where one was expected in the zip file. Type:Xceed.Zip.ZippedFile....."

I repeated the process and created another backup file (in case of some corruption in the in the first export), but got the same error on trying to restore that also.

Any ideas, or workarounds?

Regards

Mark

Platinum Super Contributor