Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Has anyone switched from using multiple ACT databases to a single database?

Has anyone switched from using multiple ACT databases to a single database?

Any suggestions/advice/ comments regarding the implementation process itself and/or any insight regarding other business or logistical considerations that may come up as a result of combining databases that previously had different users and purposes would be greatly appreciated.

Please share any tips you may have discovered, especially with regards to managing users access to certain fields or records.

Thanks,

Re: Has anyone switched from using multiple ACT databases to a single database?

Hi,

Have you figure this out? I have the same question.
Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had to do this for some of my clients on occasion. Some thoughts off the top of my head...

• I've found that doing some of the reports from ActDiag (field names, usage, lenght etc) on each database, 
  • define what fields mean what, what they will be in the database (you might change the field names, lenghts, types etc)
  • document how many records (companies, contacts, histories etc) so you can confirm it's worked afterward
  • how are you going to manage duplicates, which fields or critera to do this

Tools like Pat Egan's dup check, Alan Lee's Oak!Merge, MS Excel are very helpful.

edited to add these thoughts:

• who are the users of the new db going to be?
  • document their roles (standard, mangaer, admin)
  • document their sync sets, team membership, limited access
  • use checklists, one master checklist of the checklists, and a checklist for each process. use 'em. seriously. or you'll miss something, you'll have to redo steps. 
  • When you discover (and you will) that you've missed something, revise your checklist.
  • put someone with ocd in charge of doing this job, it'll make them happy and you sane.
Bronze Super Contributor

There is documentation in the ACT KB about how to successfully combine multiple databases from a technical perspective.

Also, be ruthless about dropping fields you will not likely use in the final design.  Excess "sludge" in the database has significant impact on usability and adoption...