Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Has anyone experienced .NET Runtime 2.0 Errors...

Has anyone experienced .NET Runtime 2.0 Errors...

I've called support a number of times and traded messages with Sage person on the previous discussion group w/o resolution and I'm hoping a fellow user may have survived this and have tips. I have 12 users in our company using ACT 2007 (9.0 for Workgroups). We have them all nicely synchronizing with our centralize SQL 2005 DB. Our problems surface when we go into Outlook 2000 and add the ACT! Address Book Service using (Tools|Services|Add). Once we enable this service we start experiencing random fatal Outlook errors. The message that Outlook pops up on the screen is fairly generic and useless however if I go into the Windows 2000 Event Log (Application) I will find an error ".Net Runtime 2.0 Error". The description usually (but not always) faults comctl32.dll. This error NEVER occurs on computers that do not use ACT nor does it ever occur for ACT users after I remove the service. Interfacing with Outlook is an integral part of our installation because we want emails sent to ACT contacts to be written back to the local ACT DB. Leaving it off is not an option but the fatal error has effected the user confidence and in some cases productivity. We have tried the following: Long conversations with relatively pleasant citizens of India Pay extra money for "Premium" support - told I would get North American support More long conversations with relatively pleasant citizens of India Uninstall .NET Framework and re-install latest with all patches. Turn off all Firewall and Virus Detection software Repair database using ACT tools I have yet to talk to a North American engineer who recognizes the type of error and how it relates to their software nor can I get anyone to help run this one to the ground. I even tried to get our salesman to escalate this and didn't even get a response. We're still on Windows 2000 and Microsoft Office 2000. Anyone seen something like this? Thanks
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Has anyone experienced .NET Runtime 2.0 Errors...

"Once we enable this service we start experiencing random fatal Outlook errors. The message that Outlook pops up on the screen is fairly generic and useless"

What is the error?
Have you tried a Detect and Repair on Outlook?

[ Edited ]
Yeah we've tried to detect and repair Outlook as well as upgrade all the latest service patches. The common error that shows up .Net Runtime 2.0 Error. Almost always looks like something like this (two different computers getting exact same error:

Computer A: Faulting application outlook.exe, version 9.0.0.6604, stamp 3d0125d7, faulting module comctl32.dll, version 5.81.4968.2500, stamp 44ef1374, debug? 0, fault address 0x0000c1c8.

Computer B: Faulting application outlook.exe, version 9.0.0.6604, stamp 3d0125d7, faulting module comctl32.dll, version 5.81.4968.2500, stamp 44ef1374, debug? 0, fault address 0x0000c1c8.

And then every one in awhile we'll get something like this (also .NET Runtime 2.0 Error)

EventType clr20r3, P1 actsage.exe, P2 9.1.162.0, P3 460aa3a5, P4 mscorlib, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 461eee3d, P7 331e, P8 21c, P9 system.io.ioexception, P10 NIL.

I'm left wondering if it might have something to do with the fact that we are still a Windows 2000 shop with Office 2000. Even thought ACT says they support this combo our problem seems to be rare enough that they can't help us and rare enough that I never read about it on these boards. Thanks for reading Jerry

Message Edited by geraldg on 01-30-2008 07:04 AM

Sorry - I didn't include the "screen" error message because they don't provide the information that the Even Log does.

"Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience"

If i click the button to view the error report I get pretty much the same stuff as the Event Log:

AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 9.0.0.6604 AppStamp:3d0125d7 ModName: comctl32.dll ModVer: 5.81.4968.2500 ModStamp:44ef1374 fDebug: 0 Offset: 0000c1c8

Followed by a lengthy hex dump

Copper Contributor

I have the same problem.  We use ACT! v9 with 7 users; integrated Outlook 2000.  Been having a lot of problems with Outlook 2000.  Where it would freeze.  Would not enter emails into contact history and the like.  Essentially, random errors.  I upgraded one of the units to Outlook 2003 (Why ACT! 2007 is not compatible with Outlook 2007 is beyond me.)  Already found that out the hard way, but that is another story; suffice it to say chock it up to the school of hard knocks.  Easier and cheaper to buy the licenses from a Microsoft Dealer with a Media Disc for 2003. 

Back to my point.  I noticed no more errors after upgrading to Outlook 2003.  Also errors where some emails would not be logged into the contact database are now a thing of the past.  My only guess that Outlook 2003 is better integrated with ACT 2007 than previous versions. 
V Flores
ACE Packaging Inc.
Package Design or Standard offerings we have it all. New car scent will cost extra.

ace-case,

The reason ACT! 2007 isn't compatible with Office 2007 is that Microsoft changed the default file formats and programming interface with the new versions. This required major changes in the way ACT! called them, so was only added in ACT! 2008.

Hi Mike - do you sleep? The errors are really quite random. Some users will tell me that the were busy typing an email others say it happens when they open an email and others have told me that they've returned to their desk and found the message on the screen. The best I could guess is the service is periodically doing stuff behind the scenes and becomes unstable. That being said - I finally found a way to successfully reproduce the error on purpose. If I go to one of my folders in my inbox having 40 or 50 emails and "select all" and open all at once and then close all then open all - eventually I will get Outlook to crash with the .NET error. The other gentleman who added to this thread sounds like he solved this problem in the same manner that I've been planning to. Upgrade Outlook. Sometimes its faster to just try that than sniffing and tweaking through error logs. Now I just have to find out if there is a way to upgrade outlook w/o upgrading office because I don't want to deal with incompatible documents flying around our office ;-) I've set up a Virtual PC with ACT and Outlook 2000 and just forced it to crash. I will upgrade this Virt to 2003 and see what the results are. Thanks again for volunteering your thoughts and time on this. Regards Jerry

Yup... I definately think upgrading Office is the best option... MS made their product more stable over time also :-)

I think 2003 should use the same format as 2000. This changes in 2007 when they went to Opn XML

PS: What's sleep?