Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Has anyone experienced .NET Runtime 2.0 Errors...

Highlighted

Re: Has anyone experienced .NET Runtime 2.0 Errors...

Hi Mike,

My ACT is all patched up with the latest HotFix as is MS-Outlook.  This problem can be reproduced in both Windows 2000 and Windows XP.  Fortunatly, since I have an XP machine to play with I installed IE7 and the error can no longer be re-produced on that machine.

We built another XP machine and applied all patches to Act, XP and Outlook - could reproduce the error.  Then we added IE7 and now that computer is "fixed" as well.

Clearly not a solution for our Windows 2000 users but once they are brought up to XP I may be in the clear. 

I'm happy but it's unfortunate that ACT Premium support pretty much dropped me on my head so early in the process.  Half of the people around me are telling about other products we should be using but in my experience it would just end up being some other problem.  My fingers are crossed and I'm hoping I haven't introduced a new issue. Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hmmm... interesting that IE7 fixed it.

Obviously some issue in Microsoft's .Net that is changed with the upgrade of the browser.

Highlighted
Tuned Listener

Hello!

Has anyone solved this issue (without IE7)?

I have exactly the same problem. Act 9 (2007) is running on 50 nodes in the network and the clients are using the "Address Book Service" in Outlook 2000. On nearly every client I got the .NET Runtime error and Outlook/Excel crashes a up to 4 times a day (some clients only freeze without error message). And these errors never occurs on clients without Act…

I tried:

-         the “detect and repair” office-installation

-          update the .net Framework 2.0 with new service packs

-         reinstall the .net Framework 2.0

-         re-register the comctl.dll

-         installation of internet explorer 7 on a XP machine

At the moment there is no possibility for me to upgrade the 50 clients to “MS Office 2003” so I have to solve the problem in my software environment.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Regards from Germany! Smiley Happy

Some information:

Act Version 9.0.557

50 User with Windows XP (SP2) or Windows 2000.

E-Mail client is Outlook 2000 the Act database is stored on a Windows2003 Server.

Error Message (outlook popup):

"Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience"

Eventlog message:

Faulting application outlook.exe, version 9.0.0.6604, stamp 3d0125d7, faulting module comctl32.dll, version 5.81.4968.2500, stamp 44ef1374, debug? 0, fault address 0x0000c1c8.

Highlighted

@act_user wrote:

Hello!

Has anyone solved this issue (without IE7)?

I have exactly the same problem. Act 9 (2007) is running on 50 nodes in the network and the clients are using the "Address Book Service" in Outlook 2000. On nearly every client I got the .NET Runtime error and Outlook/Excel crashes a up to 4 times a day (some clients only freeze without error message). And these errors never occurs on clients without Act…

You might not have .Net on the other machines...

-         reinstall the .net Framework 2.0

Did you uninstall .Net first?

Act Version 9.0.557

Any chance of updating to 9.0.1?

50 User with Windows XP (SP2) or Windows 2000.

Happens on both OS?

Eventlog message:

Faulting application outlook.exe, version 9.0.0.6604, stamp 3d0125d7, faulting module comctl32.dll, version 5.81.4968.2500, stamp 44ef1374, debug? 0, fault address 0x0000c1c8.

Maybe try Method 2 from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260283

Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

If you think this may be something specific to your installation of .NET 2.0, perhaps you could execute Aaron Stebner's (Microsoft) .NET 2.0 validation utility on a machine in question.  This may shed some light on what the core issue may be, independent of ACT!.

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/03/03/8015158.aspx

thanks,

-Matt

Matthew McFadden
Highlighted

@MMcFadden wrote:

If you think this may be something specific to your installation of .NET 2.0, perhaps you could execute Aaron Stebner's (Microsoft) .NET 2.0 validation utility on a machine in question.  This may shed some light on what the core issue may be, independent of ACT!.

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/03/03/8015158.aspx

thanks,

-Matt

Thanks Matt,

I think this may go down as the most useful post this month (even though the month isn't over)!

Have you used it much? If so, have you found any common errors that it reports when ACT! has a problem are fixed just by repairing .Net without a reinstall of ACT!?

Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

I have not encountered damaged .NET 2.0 installations to truly utilize and validate the usefullness of the tool.  Becuase of this, I have offered the link so that folks who do suspect a damaged install, rather than going through the reinstall routine of .NET 2.0, they may be able to track down the issue avoiding this procedure.

I hope folks experiencing errors will report their findings and in turn, we can see if there is anything we can do to improve functionality from the ACT! side.

thanks,

-Matt

Matthew McFadden
Highlighted

Indeed... if it finds issues that can be easier to repair than uninstall/reinstall, maybe include the functions in ACTDIAG

Or, if it doesn't find an issue that reinstalling .Net fixes, it might at least give some ideas.

I'll start recommending it and see how the results pan out.

Highlighted
Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]

First of all, thank you for your help!

-> Did you uninstall .Net first?

Yes, i uninstalled the framework first, then i reinstalled .net framework 2.0 and patched it via windows-update to SP1.
I tried the same with the ACT! installation and the MS Office.

->    Happens on both OS?

Yes, the error occurs on both system types (Win2000 SP4 and WinXP SP2/3) its exactly the same error-popup and eventlog message. It happens on every pc with an installation of Act!9. There are many other PCs (with and without framework 2.0) running clean.

-> Maybe try Method 2 from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260283

To change or to update the comctl32.dll was one of my first thoughts too, but the link offers a patch to “Version 5.80”. On the clients is the version already 5.81.4704 or higher (XP machines).

-> MMcFadden’s tool throws this result (at the end of the log file):

[09/19/08,09:32:34] Verification succeeded for product .NET Framework 2.0 SP1

Seems to be everything in order with the .net installation. A corrupt installation may be the cause, but I can not image that 50 computers have a broken installation of the .net framework. But thank you for the link! Every idea is welcome!

->  Any chance of updating to 9.0.1?

I checked some websites and couldn’t find a patch (9.0.1) for the german version.
The ACT!9 update check says that my version 9.0.0.557 is the latest.

If I remove the “ACT! adressbook service” from the outlook profile the problem is solved. But the user have to use it, that’s why Act9! was bought... Smiley Sad

Regards,

Moritz  Smiley Happy

Message Edited by act_user on 09-19-2008 02:07 AM
Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

Based on the error message supplied, have a look at these internet suggestions as well:

http://www.sparnaaij.net/faq/outlookdoesntstart.htm

I know that you disabled the control and that seemed to resolve it, but one of these alternatives may also assist you.

Good luck!

-Matt

Matthew McFadden