Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

HELP! Need access to an old database

HELP! Need access to an old database

We had an old server which has not been touched in months.  This server was out of hard drive space and memory and many of the files became corrupted.  We now need immediate access to some of our old files that were on that server, including our ACT database.

The ACT program files and the SQL server were so corrupted that even after uninstalling and reinstalling it still would not load the program and SQL wasn't right. So, I installed ACT on a newer, better running computer (it runs Windows Vista Business).  I successfully created a new test database.

Then, I copied all the old files over to the new computer (I included the database-files folder, the .adf, .pad, and .alf files).  Now, when I try to open the pad file, I get a message that says "The database could not be accessed.  In order to access this database check your network connection and verify that your database server is available.  It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server."  When I try to open the adf file, first I get a message that says "The database you are trying to open must be verified and/or updated.  This process may take several minutes to complete.  Also, before verifying this database make sure a recent backup is available.  Do you want to verify the database?"  I click OK and immediately get an error message that says "Could not find row in the sysindexes for database ID 7, object ID 1, index ID 1.  Run DBCC CHECKTABLE on sysindexes.  Could not open new database 'databasename'.  CREATE DATABASE is aborted."

These are facts that I know, including troubleshooting information I've already tried:

1.  The ACT version is ACT! 2005 Premium for Workgroups

2.  The windows version is Windows Vista Business

3.  The database is saved in the My Documents folder of the local administrator

4.  The folder is not encrypted, read only, or archived

5.  The service SQLAGENT$ACT7 will not run if the service MSSQL$ACT7 is running

6.  In the SQL Configuration Manager, there is no network protocol for ACT

7.  The local firewall is disabled

8.  The database name is not listed in the database section of the ACT Diagnostic Utility

Because it is 2005 so no longer supported (and we don't have a current support plan), I can't get help from ACT! but it is vital that I get information out of the database as soon as possible.  I don't even really need to edit the data itself, if I could just run a bunch of reports would be sufficient.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: HELP! Need access to an old database

ACT! 2005 uses Microsoft SQL 2000... and that won't properly install under Vista

You can't just copy the database files... you must stop the SQL services first