Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Gray Record Manager Field for New User

Tuned Listener

Gray Record Manager Field for New User

V16.0.291.0

New User in "Standard" class

The Record Manager field is gray, which means the new user can't do lookups from this field.

am sure we're missing a setting somewhere but have not been able to identify.  other users are configured the same way and have full functionality.

would appreciate any suggestions as to what else to look at.

Administrator

Re: Gray Record Manager Field for New User

[ Edited ]

Hi jbade,

Is the greyed our record manager field appearing on every contact, or just their own user contact record?

When you say the user can't do lookups on the record manager field, can you explain where you are seeing this limitation? Are you able to perform a lookup from the Lookup > Other Fields menu?

Tuned Listener

thanks, Gary.

Gray-out is on every contact. 

RE: lookup - we normally do a lookup on the record manager field to go to our prospect group of contacts, or to work in the list view of those contacts for which we are the record manager.

Administrator

For a standard user, they will only be able to edit the Record Manager field, if they are the user named in this field (i.e. if they just created a new contact).

Once this field is changed to another user, the field will appear greyed out for them.

Only users with the security role of Manager or above are able to change the Record Manager fields on contacts that they are not the record manager of.

Regarding lookups, you should still be able to lookup on the record manager field with a standard security role user from the Lookup menu > Other fields. See the screenshots below:

2016-03-22_17-08-02.png

Act!_2016-03-22_17-08-40.png

Tuned Listener

Thanks, Gary. 

this new standard user can't do anything in this field.  however, this method looks like a good workaround.  strangest thing is that I have two other "Standard" users that can run searches by right-clicking on the Record Manager field.  this work around appears to accomplish the same thing, so we'll go with it.

thanks very much.

Administrator

Ah, now I think I understand a little better.

So you are saying that two of your standard users are able to right click the Record Manager field, while it is greyed out, and select Lookup Record Manager, as per the screenshot below?:

2016-03-22_17-40-53.png

As you can see in the screenshot, I can do this on a field which is not greyed out, but I too am unable to perform a right click lookup when the field is greyed out as a standard user.

I will look into this to find out what the expected result is.

Administrator

We would expect the disabled (greyed out) Record Manager field to offer a lookup option when right clicked. It currently (v18) does not.

This has been logged as Defect D-04366