Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Gmail Integration Clarification Needed

Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Gmail Integration Clarification Needed

Graeme - Not sure if you've set this up yet, but shared/multiple calendars are not supported - only your "main" calendar.

A few more thoughts:

1. In regards to other posts Apple does not do what customers want, they do what they want. Period.  They do it very well, which is why I have both a mac and 5 iPhones in our family. But saying Apple does what customers want is like the old example from Henry Ford and the model A - "you can have any color you like, as long as it's black".

2. Even though GMail integration is not 100% of what people would like, it still is a step in the right direction.  I use and support other CRM systems, and none are perfect.  Read any other public board, and the quotes are along the same lines - none are perfect, none are complete.  ACT! still leads the field in features and functionality.

3. Most people I work with use GMail via browsers, on multiple computers and devices, especially phones and tablets.  The integration offered in ACT at present is a huge help.  Since the send/receive on their phones/tablets as much as on the computer, having it send directly from ACT is not a show stopper.  It'd be nice to have, and I agree there's little reason that the folks at ACT don't open up configuring port numbers and SSL.

Please note that I do agree with most of the other thoughtful and thought-out comments in this post - there's much to be improved upon, much to be enhanced, but if you focus on the whole solution, you can make it work. 

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor

Richard,

Good points, however email is such an integral part of doing business.

We have been trialing ACT! 2012 Gmail integration lately and we find that the integration, as far as it goes, works well. The problem I have is that ACT! is sold as a workgroup product so it is expected that unless stated otherwise it needs to support  a multi-user, calendar sharing environment that Google Apps is designed to cater for. Yes, Google calendar integration is not a Gmail function,  but if a company is moving from a MS Exchange situation to Google Apps then they are going to be in for a surprise if they think ACT! with the current integration will accomodate the more complete solution that can be achieved with Outlook and MS Exchange. It needs to be spelled out not glossed over as if it isn't important in making a purchasing decision.    

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

I woould just like to report back that I had sent an email to Sage last week and still no reply. 

Today,..I recieved an email from Sage advertising ACT 2012. This new video still details that with "Google Integration,..you can get your Gmail". Very dissapointed.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Well, that's technically true.  Your email that's sent/received to an email that matches a customer in Act! does get put in the history.  They're just manipulating the words as far as they can without flat out lying.  Disappointing that it's not spelled out that the email client doesn't work with gmail. 

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

This is deception. Shame on you Sage.

Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

A couple of clarifications here:

The Google integration uses Google's API's so it will support custom domains and Google Mail accounts configured for Google Apps.

The E-mail integration is designed to let people use the Gmail interface to send e-mails from anywhere/any device and still capture that interaction in ACT!.

For users wanting to have a quick create Google e-mail add a link to your Web Info tab with the following:

https://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to={E-mail}

Selecting that link on web info will popup a gmail send page (you may have to enter your gmail credentials) and prefill the To: with the contact's e-mail address.

This type of experience is for most of our Google mail customers a far superior experience than using the ACT! E-mail client.

I'm open to feedback.

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

Allen,

Seriously,..Sage advertised Gmail Integration,...that means I can send/recieve email "IN" Act 2012,....not that I can click on a link that opens a webpage and allows me to enter my credientials. I was able to do this before.

I upgraded to ACT 2012 soley on the basis of using Gmail in ACT. That's all.  Sage has misrepresented themselves with this new feature. My thoughts.

Brian

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

That's fine, except for the 3rd party plug-ins that want to send via Act!'s email client.  Then, we Google users, get screwed. 

Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

If you try the link I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  The interface is in ACT! it is contextually relevant and anything sent from this interface is (like mail sent from any other Gmail interface) recorded as history to ACT! as per the integration.

Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

I'm not understanding the statement ref:

That's fine, except for the 3rd party plug-ins that want to send via Act!'s email client.  Then, we Google users, get screwed. 

Generally speaking we don't allow plugins to access systems for which we're delegated access, this is usually a security risk. I'm not sure what the specific request/dissatisfaction here is.

We've designed this solution to allow users to use the native e-mail applications (Outlook, Gmail, Android phone, etc...) to send communications while still benefitting from capturing that interaction in ACT!.  It's fairly easy to embed this web based experience in ACT! (as per the link in the previous thread), and I didn't mean to imply you'd have to enter your password for Google each time - you won't.  

You can add other Gmail interfaces to ACT! in Web info to do things like filter your live gmail browser based on the contact record you are on: 

https://mail.google.com/mail/#search/{E-mail}

As mentioned, you've been able to do that with the previous 2 versions of Sage ACT!, but in Sage ACT! 2012 you automatically get these interactions recorded to history, which is exceptionally useful when looking for all interactions with a contact.

I'm sensing that the dissatisfaction is that the ACT! E-mail client itself doesn't include any additional configuration options in the UX for alternate ports/interfaces to allow secure IMAP (Gmails API).  

I'm not aware of anything ACT! E-mail client can do that the current solution can't do better, faster and more reliably than using ACT! e-mail client. Is there a particular way you use ACT! E-mail that the use of integration and Web Info isn't able to accomplish?  I'd be interested in hearing about these types of cases.