Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Gmail Integration Clarification Needed

Bronze Elite Contributor

Gmail Integration Clarification Needed

In ACT! 2012 the Help information for Google Integration Requirements refers to the following

"A Google email address belonging to the gmail.com domain. This means Sage ACT! currently supports email addresses

that are in this form: [Name] @gmail.com.".

It is important to understand if this integration also supports Google Apps and a customers Mx record i.e. the mail record of the customers own domain. If it doesn't then the Gmail integration only has relevance for small business which don't have domain name referenced mail service. I also note there is no reference in the Sage system requirements as to Gmail support at all.

Can somebody from Sage please clarify.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Gmail Integration Clarification Needed

Have you tried this with a GApps domain?  I have a Google Apps domain, and a few that I manage, so I can try it when I get back to a windows/ACT computer, but I just wanted to know if you've tried logging in with a GApps "name@mydomain.com" type address.

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Bronze Elite Contributor

I haven't tried, would appreciate your doing so and see what if any issues arise.
My expectation is that Sage ought to be answering this, not leaving it up to the public to discover. The problem of course if I advise customers that it works with Google Apps and later has a problem, Sage might respond with 'we never approved it's working with Google Apps. They need to be clear.

Graeme Leo

Nickel Super Contributor

Bronze Elite Contributor

Rita

Thanks for the information.

We are going to see more confusion about this in the community. Sage needs to produce clear information on the capabilities of the Gmail integration. There needs to be mention in system requirements of the extent of the Gmail integration before ACT! is recommended to business reliant on Google Apps including Gmail.

It isn't good enough to promote a product on a major feature leaving essential information out that is needed to make a business decision about adopting ACT! as a reliable application working in a Google Apps situation.

Spell it out please Sage. 

Graeme Leo

Copper Contributor

I have tried logging with a google apps account (premium) and it does work.  

Copper Elite Contributor

Well,..I'm the SUCKER who paid $239 + tax to upgrade from 2010 just to get my Gmail in ACT. Well,...I found out a few hours ago I updated for nothing. I was very missled into believing that Gmail Integration means I can get my Gmail in ACT 2012. 

Sage,....I am upset that you have misrepresented your product !!! Shame.

From an earlier post:

The following internet email clients are examples of ones that are currently known to use SSL ports and, therefore, will not work using the “Internet mail” option in ACT! Email System Setup.

Note: This list is not a complete representation and references only a sampling of providers:

• Yahoo!® free email
  • Windows Live®
  • Gmail
  • Hotmail®
  • AOL®
  • Comcast®
Copper Contributor

I agree on that point.  I thought Google integration meant they were going to add a port # and SSL field to the email setup.  That's so LAME that they STILL haven't done that.  I am glad to have calendar and contact syncing, but the email part is really lame. 

Copper Elite Contributor

I had the contact and calendar syncing through Companionlink software. I am really upset that Sage is not keeping up with other CRM's.

No wonder why Apple is gaining marketshare. Doing what people are asking for.

Bronze Elite Contributor

The lack of a Sage specification for the Gmail integration is a disappointment. Whether intentionally or otherwise it doesn't help the customer. Providing disclaimers within the Help resources of ACT! isn't good enough. The system requirements document does not include Gmail as a supported email option yet the marketing message points it out and by inference a reason to upgrade. Not good enough Sage.  

It also leaves doubt as to the viability of the product where an organization depends on Gmail integration for the business. I am understanding from comments here that you are able to connect with the Google Apps domain mail, but that is not the same thing as relying on it as a commercial solution. Sage leaves the business community wondering, for instance: Are shared calendars supported? What robustness is there in the association of an activity with the contact  when synchronizing and what is the impact of shared calendars on that? What is the affect of multiple calendars?

We need it spelled out please - would somebody from Sage please comment.  

Graeme Leo