Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Gmail Integration Clarification Needed

Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Gmail Integration Clarification Needed

I want to chime in here with my scenario, as I am a 100% Gmail (and Calendar and Contacts) user, and like the fact that I can use it on any system/browser, my iPhone, my Kindle, and on and on - and have that interaction recorded in ACT.

Furthermore, I don't understand the unecessary focus on being able to click a link (i.e. E-Mail address) in ACT to start a new message.  The web link you've (Allen) provided would work, and more imporantly, ACT now syncs Contacts with Google Contacts, so the email address - if that's the big concern - is in Google if you setup the sync.

So, I can:

• use any system/platform/browser/device to send/receive email
  • have it recorded in ACT!
  • can click a link in ACT (if I really wanted to)
  • can get Contacts with email address in Google

It seems like I have Google and ACT integrated.  It really seems - from someone who uses both ACT and Google for more hours per day than I should - that some of the focus in these messages is on what it *can't* do, or does *not* do, rather than what it does, and how to make it work for you.

p.s. The one caveat to this whole system is mail merges - HOWEVER, if you are sending many emails, you would not use GMail anyway, as they cap the send batch at 50 emails, I believe.  You'd use something like MailMerge, or better yet, SwiftPage (which is what I use).

p.p.s. why would you use GMail and want to use the ACT E-Mail client anyway?!?!?  I've had so many people want to abandon Outlook because they didn't want to be tied to a fixed email program (and Outlook is far more advanced than the ACT E-Mail client), now it seems (at least a few people), want to take two steps back.  I just don't get it...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

Easy answer here,....because I need an email program that I dont have to be online to use.

If I am waiting to see a client in the lobby,..I can open the ACT email client and bang-out a few emails, then replicate them when I get back to the car.

Rbust,..I just feel like I was "snookered" by Sage. i was VERY happy with my previous version. Paying $259 for this upgrade was a HUGE mistake. I paid $259 for the new scratch pad,..that's all. Sage can defend this subject all they want,...I should not have had to go to the "KB" looking for this issue. 

I had sent a letter to Sage two weeks ago and still not heard a word back,....wait a minute,...I did. I have had an email and  a phone call from two sales reps trying to sell me another copy of ACT 2012.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

I was thinking that the Software Automation Manager 3rd party tool emailed using Act!'s email client, but I could be wrong.  It's been a while since we tested that.  I'm not going to go load it up in order to find out, so I'll just change my example to smart tasks. 

Doesn't the email task of Smart Tasks use the Act! email client only? 

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

We don't want to use the email client as a replacement for gmail by any means.  We just want to have the functionality of being able to send out via the act! email client when tasks require the use of the email client in order to function.  

Besides the fact that I can't select a different mail port and authentication type in order to be able to use gmail.  It drives me CRAZY that if you do setup using an email account through port 25, etc. that you MUST have an incoming mail server setup.  There should be the option to not have to receive all your email in the Act! email client.  You should be able to only setup an outgoing email server to send email out. 

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

One other thing in reply to your email alduet.  Act! seems to be setting the pace for how email is setup in 3rd party programs.  There are a couple of 3rd party programs we have that built in the same limitation with their email sending setup.  They don't provide a way to use alternative ports or authentication types.  I know that's not in your control, but it seems if Act! had this functionality and people using Act! expected it, the 3rd parties would get more pressure to support it as well.  

In my limited programming experience, it's such an easy thing to fix.  I don't understand why there's such pushback to provide a secure email session. 

Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

@snakeroot  I'd love to take credit for the trend you mention, but it's actually the e-mail service vendors establishing that trend.

SPAM compliance is huge in the e-mail industry and a big part of CAN/SPAM compliance is limiting anonymous outgoing SMTP services and as a result these service providers require a inbound response from the same address as the outgoing mail send.

Google in particular is pretty prescriptive on how you can integrate or use their mail service.  The Terms of Service Gmail users agree to prohibit automated access to Gmail services from 3rd party applciaitons (I believe it's section 5.3), so the kinds of uses you describe might be a violation of the Gmail services.  

From our perspective it's better to understand how a service vendor is providing a service and for what intent so we can build an integration that doesn't get our customers in trouble with the provider.  As generous as Google is, the gmail service is a revenue generator as their gmail interface acts as a advertisement delivery mechanism (check out those links on the right hand side of an e-mail you open).  That's the price paid for using that service, and as much as I would like to build an offline client that uses the gmail delivery infrastructure, it's not much of a surprise that Google would discourage this by limiting ability to develop alternative solutions via the terms of service it's users are asked to accept.  

For what it's worth Gmail offers an off-line client.  I've never used it so I can't speak for it's capabilities, but it's clear that this is the route Google wants integration partners to go rather than replace it's UI with something like ACT! e-mail.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Not sure who you're talking about when you said email service vendors.

No one ever said anything about anonymous SMTP sending.  You can authenticate against an SMTP server without authenticating with a pop server.  Outlook has provided this functionality for years.

I'm a Google Apps user and my TOS is here:  http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/terms/premier_terms.html

I don't see anything close to what you describe.  In the AUP http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/terms/use_policy.html, it states: 

Your failure to comply with the AUP may result in suspension or termination, or both, of the Services pursuant to the Agreement.

Use of the Services is subject to this acceptable use policy ("AUP").

If not defined here, capitalized terms have the meaning stated in the applicable contract ("Agreement") between customer, reseller or other authorized user ("You") and Google.

You agree not to, and not to allow third parties or Your End Users, to use the Services:

• to generate or facilitate unsolicited bulk commercial email;
  • to violate, or encourage the violation of, the legal rights of others;
  • for any unlawful, invasive, infringing, defamatory, or fraudulent purpose;
  • to intentionally distribute viruses, worms, Trojan horses, corrupted files, hoaxes, or other items of a destructive or deceptive nature;
  • to interfere with the use of the Services, or the equipment used to provide the Services, by customers, authorized resellers, or other authorized users;
  • to alter, disable, interfere with or circumvent any aspect of the Services;
  • to test or reverse-engineer the Services in order to find limitations, vulnerabilities or evade filtering capabilities;
  • to use the Services, or a component of the Services, in a manner not authorized by Google

To me that's just stating they don't want you to use their services for spamming people.  That's pretty standard for any email provider.  

I don't know where you're getting the idea that they don't want you to use 3rd party mail programs at all.  Google Sync provides syncing for Outlook.  If they were dead set against you using a 3rd party mail program, why would they foster Google Sync?  They provide setup instructions for many different 3rd party mail programs as well.  In Google Apps, we don't have ads on the side of our web mail.  

But, I think we're just splitting hairs now.  I don't see why it's so hard to provide authentication against an outgoing smtp server using a secure port and authentication.  Sage doesn't see why it's necesary.  I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on the need. 

I do appreciate the dialog though. 

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

For what it's worth Gmail offers an off-line client.  I've never used it so I can't speak for it's capabilities, but it's clear that this is the route Google wants integration partners to go rather than replace it's UI with something like ACT! e-mail.

Allen,

Then why is Sage advertising Gmail integration? Why did I pay $259 "upgrade" not to be able to use my Gmail account in ACT? Would you aggree that the advertising for ACT2012 is misleading? Your thoughts.

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

From your website:

Please note -- You can send and receive emails from Gmail and Sage Act. NO YOU CAN'T.

Work seamlessly with the web-based productivity tools you already rely on.
    Sage ACT! is the one place where you manage all the details of your business relationships, but you may also be using Gmail®, Google® Contacts, and Google Calendar™ to manage additional business and personal details. You don't have to check two different places or manage two different calendars for a complete view of your business and personal lives.
  Send and receive emails from Gmail® and Sage ACT! will keep a history in the contact record.
Sync all or just a subset of your Sage ACT! contacts with Google®.
Sync your Sage ACT! and Google calendars manually or automatically using pre-programmed intervals.
Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor

Still Waiting on Closer Gmail Integration ?

We are from FreeActAddons and we are here to help Smiley Happy

Go to FreeActAddons and download the latest utility that brings you close to Gmail from your contact record view.

Free to the community.

Refer the screenshots... 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog