Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Getting out of Parameter and other errors over the last 2 days

Copper Contributor

Re: Getting out of Parameter and other errors over the last 2 days

[ Edited ]

You're correct Andreas this is a partial mitigation and one that also fails eventually.  I managed to get a system to use up to 2.7GB of RAM before it eventually cleared 2GB of data from RAM and I could get ACT to show out of memory exception errors.

This took about twice as long as normal, maybe a little more so it will help, but one of our users had three errors in a morning yesterday and they will likely still get errors, just at a reduced rate.  If your users are seeing less frequent errors, they might be able to get through a day's work without problems.

All,

For the few users we applied the patch to, they've had a day and a half without errors.

We'll apply it to a few more tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks,

Tom

Nickel Contributor

To ACT Support.

I can now say I experienced the problem today where my ACT v19.1.63 DB screen lost graphic images while working mostly in Oppt. Table Detail and List view. I did not see the RedX but I'm sure if I press it it would be next to show up.

Watching Task Manager:
When I lost graphics RAM was at 8GB out of total 16GB.

SERVICES:
ACT.EXE used 294MB.
SQL Server Win NT (2014 Express) used 1,617MB.
Close ACT and Reopen it the Service for SQL grew another 10MB.
I restarted SQL Service to zero out it and ACT.exe .

After ACT opened DB started at 118MB and SQL at 451MB.
SQL Server reached 794MB in 40 min. while in Oppt doing Lookup's, Omit records in list view, jumping between Oppt & Contact Records, and deleting some Oppt Records.

Here is a Google search "SQL Server NT 2014 Express memory limit" what I found and looks like SQL Express has a 1GB RMA limit?
http://www.netometer.com/blog/?p=1451

I now recall in past years when I would do large import/export of data between DB's or CSV files. I started having ACT Red-x, Graphics loss, or locks up. Solution I keep eye on SQL memory and before reaching 1.4GB I would reset SQL (ACT7) service.

JM

All,

Like RoyalTom, I had installed this "band-aid' on the PC of our heaviest user (and largest complainer).

Made it all day yesterday without a crash.

Updated the rest of our clients this morning.

So far today, no reports of a crash.

However, we also have a task scheduled to TASKKILL ACT*.* an hour after business close (in case someone leaves it up).

We have also implemented a daily reboot at 4am.

The reboots should clear the memory so everyone can start fresh each day, and with the "Band-Aid" in place, they can operate a full business day without error.

Thanks Swiftpage!  This should work until a proper fix is found/applied.

I was seeing the same "Out of Memory" as everyone else on our 2008 R2 terminal server. I applied path from earlier post which seems to stop those errors from occurring but i'm seeing ACT!.exe using a lot of resources for each instance. It's consistently using 12 Percent CPU for a few users and memory is getting up to 3.2 GB's for a single instance. Seems like the past couple months this started with CPU and RAM consuming more resources than before. We're running ACT v19 Update 4

act_usage.PNG

Copper Contributor

So how many years is it going to take to fix this? 5?

[ Edited ]

Also from my screen shot, those high resource ACT!.exe processes sit at 12 and 13% without doing anything in ACT! (navigating around, searching contacts, entering notes, etc)

Employee

A big problem that we are having is that we can’t reproduce the results seen in this topic with any machine in house.  The memory always seems to cleanup as expected for us.  We are actively working to narrow down what circumstances are causing the issue.  We have had issues with a memory leak in the past with our import/export process and we have a solution in that helps stomp out our memory footprint.  Would someone be willing to test this out on a problem machine?  Preferably one that doesn’t have the memory expanded (to give us real world results).  Basically the steps to take is: every hour or so: File > Export > Cancel.  As you hit cancel you should see the memory footprint of Act! drop to 0 then slowly climb to a normal working memory set. 

Does this resolve the problem after a long run of act!?  Please let us know.  We are working to provide a solution like this in the app automatically, but we have not been able to test out the solution because we don’t have machines that repro the problem in the first place. 

Thank you very much,

Joel

Copper Contributor

I can try this starting tomorrow. Where would I see the memory return to Zero? I can take screenshots of anything on my laptop. Just got a new UHD Dell XPS last week, reinstalled Everything and still get red X
Employee

In the windows task manager you can see memory being used.(This is optional if you want to see it happen.) Basically doing those steps every hour or so should eliminate the out of memory errors.