Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Getting out of Parameter and other errors over the last 2 days

Copper Contributor

Re: Getting out of Parameter and other errors over the last 2 days

Hi Jhadfield

I've looked on the pc's experiencing the issues but have not been able to find this update.

Copper Contributor

Having just looked at my Server 2012 R2, which is setup as a terminal server, this does not have KB4013429 installed - however this appears to be just related to Win10.

In fact, looking at this article https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4013076/ms17-011-security-update-for-microsoft-uniscribe-ma..., it seem the KB numbers are different for each OS.

My server has not received any updates since Jan 2017. There are a number of pending updates due, including KB4012216 & KB 4012213, both mentioned in the article above.

What did make the problem go away for my users, at least for a couple of weeks, was the commands Robert_Shellma posted a few weeks back...

Try this command in an Administrator command shell:

"C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe" uninstall ACT.UI.TabPage

And maybe you remove also the image of the C1.Win.C1FlexGrid assembly.

"C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe" uninstall C1.Win.C1FlexGrid

I ran this on a few Windows 7 workstations and the 2012 R2 server and the red X's have only just returned after a good 3 week absence. They were previously cropping up around once a day. Time to run those commands again! 

M

Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Jhadfield,

pls. keep in mind that the problem is occurring on a wide variety of OSes and also with various ACT! versions.

Looking at a single WIN 10 update might get us closer to the underlying problem, but won’t fix it in general.

The update you guys are talking about seems to have a problem in itself.

The most interesting part in the lengthy description of the KB4013429 appears towards the end:

Some customers using IE11 and CRM 2011 may experience forms that do not display correctly.

This issue is addressed in KB4016635.

Just an educated guess: “forms do not display correctly…” somehow corresponds with some C1.Win.C1FlexGrid “Grid drawing” issues ????

Here it is again in part as it is THE ONE we seem to get most frequently:

[Error Exception: Parameter is not valid.System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid. at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, Graphics g) at Act.UI.TabPage.HistoryTabPage.theGrid_OwnerDraw(Object sender, OwnerDrawCellEventArgs e)……]

Next try: could someone pls. install KB4016635 on a machine having KB4013429 installed AND re-check, whether the problem goes away after the fix of the fix?

As far as I understand the a.m. KB issues, they ONLY refer to WIN 10. Somebody will have to verify/clarify things for all the other OSes being afflicted as mikeyorke is also pointing out.

N.B.: my machine having the problem has the KB 4013429 installed since 22.3.2017

It does not have the KB4016635 installed. It might try this when I have some time and will keep you updated.

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de
Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Regarding the recent memory errors with Act!, we have developed a fix for this. We have a tool that will increase the amount of memory Act.exe, Act.Server.Host.exe, and Act.Framework.Synchronization.Service.exe can use. This will also help with sync out of memory errors and the search index crashing too. Make sure you close whichever executable you will be doing this for prior to running this file

Here is the link: https://kqc.sharefile.com/d-s3e017ad2a9f41298. Unzip the file, run the IncreaseMemLimite.exe file and then click the browse button, select the exe file and click Apply Patch. Make sure you close whichever executable you will be doing this for prior to running this file. A backup of the original file will be created with the extension of .Backup

If you get an error about a missing dll when trying to patch a file, run the included vc_redist installer file.

Michael Kadlub
Act! Support Manager
Keystroke Quality Computing Inc.
800-857-0558, x.310
MichaelK@kqc.ca
www.keystroke.ca
Copper Contributor

Has anyone else tried this? I'd like to but may wait until after my work hours to make sure nothing prevents me from getting work done over the next 6 hours.

Can you tell me what version of Act this fix is for?

Copper Contributor

Has anyone tried the fix?  Don't want to try it until I know it works!

We are applying the fix to our most impacted users today. 

Not sure how we're going to deploy it on a mass scale if it does work though.

I'll keep everyone posted.

-Tom

Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Michael,

could it be that you make use of a tool called “Editbin” and set the parameter “LargeAddressAware” with your tool?

I would feel much better knowing that you go that way as I don’t like to run an exe on my live system without having a clue what is does to it.

Calling this a “fix” is actually not completely true, as it doesn’t FIX the underlying problem; it just makes it stay away for some more time (until the increased allocated memory is also used up).

If this is not your way, I would like to know the actual way you go as I don’t like to run an exe on my live system without having a clue what is does to it.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Andreas

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de
Nickel Elite Contributor

Yes, you are correct. It does use EditBin to set the largeaddressaware flag

Michael Kadlub
Act! Support Manager
Keystroke Quality Computing Inc.