Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Getting out of Parameter and other errors over the last 2 days

Copper Contributor

Re: Getting out of Parameter and other errors over the last 2 days

I have captured the problem with verbose logging enabled. Please find attached. Hopefully this is of some use?

In the interest of making the log file smaller I have cut out the middle section (Act application started at 08:23, error seen at 14:08 - I have cut out all up to 14:00)

Can someone from Act update with some feedback on this issue? How is the troubleshooting going? Suspected causes? Possible fixes? etc?

Thanks

Copper Contributor

The same error happened again and a pop-up request to send the Act! the details appeared.  But I was unable to send as an out of memory warning popped up.  I copied the data:

System.OutOfMemoryException: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program.
at System.Windows.Media.Composition.DUCE.Channel.SyncFlush()
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable`1 channelSet)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowPos(IntPtr lParam)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)

Administrator

Hi all,

Thanks again to all who have posted further detail. I know that internal investigations are still ongoing, and this information will be useful for the development team's efforts.

Currently I don't have any new insights to share on the issue.
Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi mikejorke,

I just analysed your log file an found the exact error message WE got when doing our first analyses of the problem a few days ago.

The error occurs a few seconds (14:07:05) before your ACT! crashed. The "Verbose" parameter is not necessary to catch it.

ACT! crashing with "out of memory" ist just the final result of the underlying problem with the below mentioned error message. It looks like ACT! tries to draw something REEAALLYYY BIG due to some wrong "coordinates" (that's the meaning of the not valid parameters width and height in side the error message) and this eats up all your memory. I've seen the act!.exe taking up to 2GB of RAM when the problem occurs.

The error is EXACTLY the one the other contributors in this thread have mentioned:

Parameter is not valid.System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.
   at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, Graphics g)
   at Act.UI.TabPage.HistoryTabPage.theGrid_OwnerDraw(Object sender, OwnerDrawCellEventArgs e)
   at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.OwnerDrawCellEventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, OwnerDrawCellEventArgs e)
   at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.C1FlexGridBase.OnOwnerDrawCell(OwnerDrawCellEventArgs e)
   at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.C1FlexGridBase.DrawCellBody(Graphics g, Int32 row, Int32 col, Style s, Rectangle rc, String str, Image img)
   at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.C1FlexGridBase.DrawCell(Graphics g, Int32 row, Int32 col, Style s, Rectangle rc, String str, Image img, CheckEnum chk)
   at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.C1FlexGridBase.DrawCell(PaintEventArgs e, Int32 row, Int32 col)
   at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.C1FlexGrid.DrawCell(PaintEventArgs e, Int32 row, Int32 co...................

You should therefore try to use the fix my colleague Robert posted on Friday.

Keep me updated whether it helped, as we so far have too few systems with positive results from the fix (the problem vanished on all 2 patched systems).

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de

Thanks for keeping us posted.  Please don't forget about us! <3

Copper Contributor

Another week has passed without news...

You guys aren't planning to make this a "fixed in V20" kind of thing are you?

Copper Super Contributor

Hi,

we can observe on some of our own systems (Win7 and Win 10 with Act! 19.1) that the Act!.exe process memory value increases while working with Act!. Each time you open a view or dialog the Windows Performance Monitor shows a higher “private bytes” memory value for the Act!.exe process.

When the value is above 1 GB the “parameter value exception” is fired. I think the C1 grid is not able to draw it’s controls because of the lack of remaining memory (drawing the red x). As a result, the draw method goes wrong from the respective ACT.UI.Tabpage class.

Normally, the Act!.exe process releases a part of its memory after a while.

The Act!.exe process still triggers the .NET Garbage Collection. You can observe the value with the performance counter .NET CLR-Memory. But the Garbage Collection only releases about 2 or 4 MB of memory.

The values for USER objects and GDI objects in the Taskmanager are reaching values above 4000, so far away from the 10000 limit.

A simple test could be made when you open and close your database for a few times. Closing the database will not release any memory.

Best regards

Robert

Melville-Schellmann
Consulting and Development for CRM-Software
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I close ACT  - the memory is released (no more RAM), but as soon as I start - it goes right back up. I'm looking up companies, via the search, and it's climbed to over 1GB of RAM used. I'll need to shut down and re-start the database frequently. what a pain.

Nickel Contributor

If you want to fully release memory close ACT than locate and run SQL Server Confi Mgr. then right click on (ACT7) select restart. then start ACT. you don't need to restor PC. Here is shortcut path to create on Win Desktop.

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mmc.exe /32 C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\SQLServerManager12.msc

9 years ago I noticed the RED X due to my very detailed lots of fields Contact Detail layout.  After doing multiple lookup's, or update many records field, or exporting.  About 4 years ago ACT got much better lamost never see it.

I will say again you should (if got large DB size) bump up Windows to 12-15GB RAM even if performance monitor is telling you only using say 6GB of 8GB.

sql server config mgr.jpg

JM

Hi Gary,

Do you have any updates from the internal investigation teams from the last two weeks - on the root cause of these issues, or how/when they may be addressed?