Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Getting out of Parameter and other errors over the last 2 days

Copper Contributor

Re: Getting out of Parameter and other errors over the last 2 days

I have one user (of 8 or so) recently complaining about receiving both "out of memory' and 'parameter is not valid' errors. Happens multiple times a day. We're using ACT 2015Premium, 17.2.217 hot fix 2. Her computer is the newest machine here with a windows 8.1 clean install. I will enable the verbose logging and report back. With windows updates now bundled together this may be quite difficult to isolate.
Copper Contributor

Ok, so a user on my terminal server just called to report the "red cross" on the history tab problem. I opened the logviewer and found this (logging only set to level 1 (Error))

Severity: Error

Type: Exception

Category: UI

Error Exception: Parameter is not valid.System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.
at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, Graphics g)
at Act.UI.TabPage.HistoryTabPage.theGrid_OwnerDraw(Object sender, OwnerDrawCellEventArgs e)
at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.OwnerDrawCellEventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, OwnerDrawCellEventArgs e)
at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.C1FlexGridBase.OnOwnerDrawCell(OwnerDrawCellEventArgs e)
at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.C1FlexGridBase.DrawCellBody(Graphics g, Int32 row, Int32 col, Style s, Rectangle rc, String str, Image img)
at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.C1FlexGridBase.DrawCell(Graphics g, Int32 row, Int32 col, Style s, Rectangle rc, String str, Image img, CheckEnum chk)
at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.C1FlexGridBase.DrawCell(PaintEventArgs e, Int32 row, Int32 col)
at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.C1FlexGrid.DrawCell(PaintEventArgs e, Int32 row, Int32 col)
at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.C1FlexGridBase.DrawRow(PaintEventArgs e, Int32 row)
at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.C1FlexGrid.DrawRow(PaintEventArgs e, Int32 row)
at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.C1FlexGridBase.DrawGrid(PaintEventArgs e)
at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.C1FlexGridBase.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)

Hopefully this is helpful? Or should I turn on verbose logging to get a more detailed view?

As a side note, there are loads of errors in this log! 99 errors logged between 7:45 - 12:28 today.

I'm not suggesting these other errors are related to the 'red cross' issue we are discussing here (and I don't want to get off topic). But looking through, they seem to be the same two errors.   I might post these in a new thread as one appears to be related to alarms and the other appears related to the calendar.

Copper Contributor

Another side point...the KB article which Gary W pointed to here: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14398 appears to be out of date, despite showing as updated on 09/10/2016 - the screen shot of the Act!.exe.config file is outdated as mine looked like this...

[I have highlighted the code comments in red below for easier reading]

<!-- New High Level Log Categories - beginning with ACT! 12.1 -->
<add name="ACTCommonSwitch" value="1" />
<add name="ACTFrameworkSwitch" value="1" />
<add name="ACTApplicationSwitch" value="1" />
<!-- The categories below are not used in new code, but still exist in legacy code
(i.e., you may need to set the logging levels for both the old (below)
and the new (above) categories for now -->
<add name="ACTCoreSwitch" value="1" />
<add name="ACTUISwitch" value="1" />
<add name="ACTIntegrationSwitch" value="1" />
<add name="ACTSecuritySwitch" value="1" />
<add name="ACTSyncSwitch" value="1" />
<add name="ACTSyncSetupSwitch" value="1" />
<add name="ACTDesignTimeSwitch" value="1" />
<add name="ACTExtendedSwitch" value="1" />
<add name="ACTReportingSwitch" value="1" />
<add name="ACTGDISnapshotSwitch" value="1" />

I wanted to add that the "Out of memory at line 1" errors are prevalent in ACT Premium V18.0.501, Hotfix 4, for multiple heavy-users spread across a few continents.

The errors are popping up multiple times per day, per user. Restarting is the current response and will allow for an hour or two of heavy work before getting the error again.

Administrator

Thanks Mike,

I've passed your feedback on to the Knowledgebase team.
We'll let you know if we need further detailed logs.

@CoGon wrote:

I wanted to add that the "Out of memory at line 1" errors are prevalent in ACT Premium V18.0.501, Hotfix 4, for multiple heavy-users spread across a few continents.

The errors are popping up multiple times per day, per user. Restarting is the current response and will allow for an hour or two of heavy work before getting the error again.

Hi CoGon,

Are you seeing these errors when viewing the Notes/History tabs as has been reported in previous posts in this thread, or the Web Info tab? It's important that we know this, as we're currently tracking a separate issue with the same error message on the Web Info tab.

Hi Gary,

My users are getting the errors when viewing the Notes/History tabs- mostly the Notes tab, as that's where the most time is spent.
Copper Contributor

I was able to capture the "parameter is not valid" error one of my users is getting. Looks the same as already posted.  I'll post the "out of memory" error when it pops up next.

I've started hunting around the FlexGrid for WinForms user forums to see if any trouble reports are popping up. I'll try to figure out what version ACT is using compared to the latest version of FlexGrid.

Error Exception: Parameter is not valid.System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.
   at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, Graphics g)
   at Act.UI.TabPage.HistoryTabPage.theGrid_OwnerDraw(Object sender, OwnerDrawCellEventArgs e)
   at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.OwnerDrawCellEventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, OwnerDrawCellEventArgs e)
   at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.C1FlexGridBase.OnOwnerDrawCell(OwnerDrawCellEventArgs e)
   at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.C1FlexGridBase.DrawCellBody(Graphics g, Int32 row, Int32 col, Style s, Rectangle rc, String str, Image img)
   at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.C1FlexGridBase.DrawCell(Graphics g, Int32 row, Int32 col, Style s, Rectangle rc, String str, Image img, CheckEnum chk)
   at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.C1FlexGridBase.DrawCell(PaintEventArgs e, Int32 row, Int32 col)
   at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.C1FlexGrid.DrawCell(PaintEventArgs e, Int32 row, Int32 col)
   at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.C1FlexGridBase.DrawRow(PaintEventArgs e, Int32 row)
   at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.C1FlexGrid.DrawRow(PaintEventArgs e, Int32 row)
   at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.C1FlexGridBase.DrawGrid(PaintEventArgs e)
   at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.C1FlexGridBase.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.Util.BaseControls.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Copper Contributor

Ok I have been checking into Flexgrid, the component ACT appears to be using for the notes/history viewer:

(This is what I have for ACT v17)

C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.dll Build Number 2.5.20042.167   Build Date: April 13, 2004

Doesn't look good, a component based on .net 2.0 and 13 years old. There's been tons of bug fixes and revisions for this component over the years possibly ending in 2014. Given the long list of changes and bug fixes I'm surprised this old version has made it this far. The .net 4.0 version appears to be more recently maintained.

I'm a programmer but I don't know anything about .net assemblies. There are newer builds of flexgrid available but I don't know if it is possible to substitute a newer version of the control. I made some feeble attempts that were entirely unsuccessful.

I suppose I need to shift my focus on to anything that recently affected .net 2.0 or graphics drivers. The user who is having the crashes did not have any windows updates or installed applications past Feb 9, but the problems appeared around March 15 at the earliest.

Copper Contributor

After so many years the newer version probably isn't drop in and replace. It would surprise me if there hadn't been a lot of large changes possibly requiring some change on Act's side too.

That said, it actually doesn't really surprise me they're still using a version from 2004. Just like it doesn't really surprise me they aren't doing anything to really fix the DPI issue. 

Over the 6 years I've worked with Act the program hasn't really undergone any changes warranting 6 years of development. It really feels like the Act windows client is being left out to die in hopes of converting people to the hosted act in the cloud solution. Probably a lot more money in getting people to pay subscriptions....

Our company has worked with Act for a very long time (according to my boss nearly 20 years or so) and there's a lot of love for the program, but we're very close to giving up and looking for another solution. It appeared Sage really didn't want to invest any time or resources in improving Act, we had hoped Swiftpage would be better, but our hopes appear to be idle.

Copper Super Contributor

Hi,

maybe it helps to remove the native image of the Act.UI.TabPage assembly from the .Net cache.

Try this command in an Administrator command shell:

"C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe" uninstall ACT.UI.TabPage

And maybe you remove also the image of the C1.Win.C1FlexGrid assembly.

"C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe" uninstall C1.Win.C1FlexGrid

You can get the “paramter error” while using the the ctor method of the System.Drawing.Bitmap class, if another thread is still working with the graphic context. So it could be a timing problem. The timing will be another if the assemblies are not pre compiled.

We've some customers with this problem also. Until now we could not test it there on the respective systems.

Best regards
Robert

Melville-Schellmann
Consulting and Development for CRM-Software