Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Getting out of Parameter and other errors over the last 2 days

Copper Contributor

Re: Getting out of Parameter and other errors over the last 2 days

The Parameter error with Red X occurs 4-5 times as many times as the Out of Memory error

I frequently copy & paste from email (Outlook) and from LinkedIn (capture a person's profile detail)

No other user

Screenshot of current Task Manager attached

Copper Contributor

Just happened again.  First a Line 1 out of Memory and the out of memory.  Task Manager screenshot attached

Copper Contributor

I just posted a similar issue here

https://community.act.com/t5/Act-Premium/Errors-quot-Out-of-memory-quot-amp-quot-Parameter-is-not-va...

I will continue my comments in this thread as all our issues appear to be related. I would echo the comments from EUROPOWERGenerators. We have made no changes to Act, no database changes, no field changes, etc. Odd that these problems hit us all at the same time. 

Administrator

Thanks for extra info everyone.
I've passed this along to the team for review and further investigation.

Hi all.  I wanted to add some extra info to this thread that I haven't seen yet.

We run IIS and classic ASP web pages that we have pull data from our ERP and then display into the WebInfo tab in ACT.

A number of months ago, we noticed our intranet clients that just load and auto-refresh our web pages would experience memory leaks.  Every few days, we had to restart them to clear out IEXPLORE.EXE and its >300,000K memory footprint.

We knew that IE had some sort of "memory leak" issue, probably a result from an earlier OS patch or an IE patch (Q2-Q3 of 2016).

MONTHS have gone by with this issue, then suddenly about a week and a half ago, the memory leak stopped.  This was after March's Patch Cycle.

We just started high-fiving, cheering, and toasting about how our memory problems have been fixed, but then that's when our Marketing group came in and started complaining about "Red X's across my screen" and "memory errors" inside ACT.

Then, I noticed somewhere in this thread (or perhaps the 2nd linked one) that someone mentioned that it seems to be affected by "web controls".

These 2 pieces of information seem very.... coincidental.

Swiftpage, I suspect that a March 2017 Microsoft Patch affected some secondary/tertiary web controls so they could fix their IE memory leak, but it may have inadvertently caused an issue with ACT and its web-hooks.

We are anxious for a hotfix from Swiftpage.

I have not gone through the tedious task of identification of the specific patch, but for someone else that may be interested, you could try uninstalling all your March patches, then see if your issue goes away.  (Some patches cannot be uninstalled and require a reinstall of the OS to 'revert').

JM
Nickel Contributor

Re: Errors: "Out of memory" & "Parameter is not valid" with red cross on History tab

I was getting running out of memory close some applications that started I think Prem V18 and or when I last year switch from Office 2007 to Office 365.  

My laptop had **8GB RAM**, SSD drive, CPU-i7, Win10-64 bit, Office 32bit.  Running a few windows applications and services that you can view in Task Manager Tab-Performance see 5GB is used.  When I do large number of fields data copy or replace for contact records and or a few large lookup's usage jumps to 6.5-7.1GB and later get Red Cross and or out of memory.

Solution I added two 4GB simms giving me 16GB RAM.  Repeated the steps how I use ACT and now Task Manager shows using 7.7GB.  Then do many Lookup's and or replace fields data RAM used jumps to 12GB, BUT NO more warnings.

This tells me ACT wants more but if your close to the available memory it holds back from taking it all right away.

JM

Copper Contributor

@j4cks0n I think this makes perfect sense. What are the chances that we would all experience these same issues at different companies, with different databases, users, PC builds, etc, all at the same time. An MS patch makes perfect sense.

However, looking at my terminal server, it was last patched on 17 Jan 2017, so never had the March patch. It is running IE 11.0.9600.18538

My affected users use this terminal server when working from home, and their dedicated PC's when in the office. We have had the red cross and memory errors on all computers, so not sure where this leaves the patch theory.

I will check which updates and IE versions are on each of the desktop PCs and add to this discussion.

Administrator

Quick update:
We've opened a defect for the issues affecting the Notes and History tabs where "Out of Memory at line 1" error is presented and a red 'X' is displayed in the list panel.
For reference, this has been logged as defect D-05700.

I'd like to thank everyone again for updating this thread with useful information. Please continue posting any pertinent info you have.
I'll post any further updates I receive.
Copper Contributor

Thanks Gary.

I have to ask, is there an application log for ACT!? I have looked through C:\Program Files (x86) and C:\ProgramData and users %appdata% folder but cannot see anything obvious. If there was a log, perhaps that would contain some clues?

Or perhaps there is an ini file or registry key which adjusts the logging level temporarily?
Administrator

Hi mikeyorke,

You should find the Act! Log Viewer application in the installation folder. It's named LogViewer.exe.

It is also possible to enable more verbose logging. Please see the information in the following Knowledgebase article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14398