Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Getting error when clicking on email hyperlink in ACT! Pro v.18.2.53.0 Update 4

Getting error when clicking on email hyperlink in ACT! Pro v.18.2.53.0 Update 4

Hi Everyone,

I'm using ACT! Pro v.18.2.53.0 Update 4.

Microsoft Office 2016 (Office 365 subscription).

My database is hosted on another computer on the same LAN running Windows 8.1, using standard SMB (workgroup) sharing.

My (problem) computer is running Windows 10 Home. Same version of ACT! running on my computer and Host computer.

When I open ACT! and go to Contacts, then click on a given Contact's email address, I expect it to launch a new email addressed to said Contact using the default email program, MS Outlook. Instead, I get the following error:

Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: type

screenshot4.jpg    screenshot1.jpg

Already attempted the following fixes:

- Run both ACT! and Outlook as Administrator

- Uninstall MS Office (2007) and upgrade to new version (2016 - clean install)

- Make sure Outlook is Windows default mail app: 

screenshot3.jpg

- Go to Tools > Preferences > Email & Outlook Sync > E-Mail System Setup... Only available option is Internet Mail:

screenshot2.jpg

The next steps I was considering (and am hoping to avoid) are:

1. Uninstall and reinstall same version of ACT! on my (problem) computer.

2. Update to latest version of ACT! v.18 (Update 6) on all computers on my network

3. Subscribe to ACT! Support and get their guidance, which will probably result in Step 2 anyway.

Does anyone have any better/easier/quicker ideas on how to fix?

Thanks!

Jason

Administrator

Re: Getting error when clicking on email hyperlink in ACT! Pro v.18.2.53.0 Update 4

Hi jason,

Sorry for the delayed reply - your post got caught up in our Spam Quarantine somehow, sorry about that.

The fix for this issue is actually really simple - it's usually down to a file conflict between Office 2016 and the version of Act you're using.

The solution is to just apply the most recent patch for v18.2 - update 6

Link here: http://cdn.updates.swiftpage.act.com/updates/18.2/act1820update6.exe

Re: Getting error when clicking on email hyperlink in ACT! Pro v.18.2.53.0 Update 4

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, applying that hotfix did not resolve the problem. I still get the same error when I click on an email address, and I still see the same limited options when trying to configure email options.

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Jason

Employee

See if you have a file named adal.dll in C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows
If so, rename it to adal_old.dll

Thanks Carl,

I found a file called AdalWrapper.dll, but no file called adal.dll.

Capture.JPG

Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hmm, it seems like Act just isn't detecting your install of Office. We usually recommend that when Act is installed, Office is already on the machine - do you know if this was the case?

Usually you can just run an office repair to rebuild the required files for Act to detect the installation. You can do this from Programs and Features, just right click your installation of Office and choose Modify/Repair and then run the quick repair.

After this you'll likely want to run through the email system setup wizard.

If this doesn't work, please provide the full version of Office you're running (you'll find it in Outlook under File > Office Account > About Outlook).

Also, check out this KB:
http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14425

That outlines the various issues that can cause not to recognise an outlook installation, it has a few different resolutions you can try - some of them do involve editing the PC's registry so take caution, and only attempt them if you feel comfortable doing this.

I must be missing some important info. But I have had a similar issue ad I corrected it  as I explain below. I did have 1 account But I see you have Office installed on your computer, plus you are subscribing to Office365. OK, I have Office 13 installed, and we use go daddy - which uses an office365 exchange server (It is actually GoDaddy's version - but same end result) , but I did not subscribe to office 365. specifically. Did you let Windows or Outlook configure Outlook  email account? It really needs to be done as follows, and it is best to have all the email accounts completely removed from outlook. Because office365 uses the exchange server, all your email is preserved online until you delete it online.

Office 365 is a web based application, where office is a pc based product. For office you do not need to subscribe to office 365 - just to the provider - GoDaddy in my case. But it could be Gmail for your email server - but that would mean a mapi or pop account verses an exchange account.

At that point I use Windows to setup my exchange server - it will go find my login account and extract the info needed. Once connected, it verified you can log in and  you then set up an email profile in Windows. Then I start my local Outlook and it connects to the exchange server.

When I configure my ACT! for email, it give options for Outlook and for an online email account. This didn't work the 1st time for me, mainly because I attempted to configure the server myself using a pop type configurations - which is an option  from GoDaddy. I had to remove the existing mail profiles then set them up again in Windows.10.0 and later. Then I found and selected the mail profile for my configured accounts and it all worked. I then used the outlook verses online choice in ACT, and I get the paperclip when I email from within act. 

Sorry for the rambling response. I was remembering as I was typing. HOPE IT HELPS!

Hi Jon,

Yes, it's very strange. Office 2016 was already installed on the machine when I reinstalled ACT.

The Office Repair/Email system setup wizard did not do the trick either.

Already went through the "Outlook® is Missing as an Option in the ACT! E-mail Setup" page - that's what prompted me to upgrade from 2007 to 2016.

User is running Microsoft Outlook 2016 MSO (16.0.9001.2080) 32-bit

Any further assistance you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jason

Employee

Making a database backup, takenote of the serial number (in Help), uninstall Act!  then reinstalling Act! may be a solution. Hopefully, this will reset everything including the Outlook integration . You still have the original download or link to download?