Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Generating Quotes - issues with Word and Excel

Generating Quotes - issues with Word and Excel

Hello,

I have a couple of points that I am looking for feedback and suggestions on.  These are items that I have tried to search for answers to myself, and have had limited success.

1) I created a new "Quote.xlt" template file on my computer with the remote database.  The remote database is set to allow supplemental files to sync.  Periodically I will lose the formatting of the .XLT file and my quotes will not appear the same as they always have.  Does this have anything to do with where I created the new .XLT file?  Even though supplemental files are allowed to sync, should I still manually copy Quote.xlt to the main computer?  I don't want this to affect other remote users either.

2) Frequenty Word will crash when I'm trying to generate a quote.  A temporary fix has been to "restore" unsaved work when I open Word manually and my ACT quote will magically appear.  However, this generally only works once and the next time I go to do a quote I will get the "RPC Server Unavailable" error which makes me cringe.  The only fix has been to restart everything and start over.

3) It's hit and miss when I can manually edit the excel table object in a Word quote generated from ACT.  Ideally I would like to do this sometimes once a quote is produced from ACT, but sometimes I am blocked from doing this and Word will tell me that the object is not available?  It makes no sense to me why this sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

As you can see the trouble lies in my inability to quote.  Does anyone have a solution?  Perhaps an add-on is the best choice?  I am willing to spend the money on an add-on if it means these problems will go away!

Thanks in advance for your help,

Dan

Re: Generating Quotes - issues with Word and Excel

I should also add that I have been able to sometimes (key word) temporarily "solve" the RPC Server Unavailable issue by deleting the Normal.dot file in the microsoft template directory, but really.....who wants to do that every time.
Nickel Super Contributor

Save yourself the headache...here you go - http://www.exponenciel.com/actaddons/actaddon.aspx?ID=92

Michael Matthews
Bridge Concepts, Inc.
Fort Worth, TX
www.bridgeconcepts.com
Silver Contributor

We really like Quotewerks as an add on to ACT for excellent Quoting.  Happy to do a demo if you call.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider