Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Garbage collection or my computer?

Garbage collection or my computer?

[ Edited ]

If I do a lookup with around 2,000 or more contacts in that lookup and I replace the Record Manager field, I sometimes receive the Win32 error 'Error creating window handles'. I opened Windows Task Manager and added the columns Handles, Threads, USER Objects, and GDI Objects. I noticed that USER objects reached 10,000 and this is the maximum for Windows. When it finished, USER Objects drops to 9,975. If I try to go into a menu, it jumps to 10,000 and crashes with that error message. I can reproduce this again and again. I think this error is because the objects are not being disposed of by a garbage collector and should be a HIGH priority bug. Maybe it's just my computers? I've seen this happen on my desktop and our server.

Thank you,

Bob Brodie

Message Edited by bobbrodie on 03-05-2009 01:22 PM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Garbage collection or my computer?

There was a file handle leak in .NET 2.0 last year that I believe Microsoft addressed.  Does the machine in question have all the latest MS Updates applied to it?  Also, what version of ACT! are you using?

thanks

Matthew McFadden

Thank you for your reply. I'm up to date and have seen this on other machines too. We are using ACT! Premium 11.0.0.367.
Nickel Elite Contributor

Another thing to check for is to make sure you have the latest video drivers from the manufacturer.  This could also contribute to the GDI issue.

thanks

Matthew McFadden