Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

GMail sync is duplicating messages

Nickel Elite Contributor

GMail sync is duplicating messages

It seems to happen on unread in the Inbox, not sure what the criteria is for Sent Items.  Regardless, I have the ACT/Google integration setup to sync Contacts/Calendar/GMail every 15 minutes.

GMail Inbox messages that are unread (and, again, Sent Items) are repeatedly entered into History, creating duplicate entries.

However, I don't think it keeps going forever.  I've left some messages unread overnight, and I don't get 4 per hour.  Additionally, it seems if I delete the duplicates, leaving only one, it stops creating duplicates as well.

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

Re: GMail sync is duplicating messages

[ Edited ]

I am having the exact same issue. I have had things duplicate as many as 10 times... What is causing this and how do we prevent it?  Also, I assumed it was only happening to the unread mail, but when I marked ALL as read in Gmail and then synced again, it still duplicated it.

Nickel Elite Contributor

I'm pretty sure it is just unread - but if you notice the way GMail works - even though the most recent may be the only "unread", all the others in the "conversation view" are somehow tagged as unread - which is why it keeps attaching.

I have not tried getting rid of converstation view, so that might help, but I depend on the conversation view, so I'd end up going back anyway.

I'm also pretty sure that a new single message - never read - will only attach once - but this has been hit an miss...

Richard Brust
Nickel Elite Contributor

rbrust wrote:

I'm also pretty sure that a new single message - never read - will only attach once - but this has been hit an miss...

I take this back - I've had a new message - direct, not a response - sitting in my Inbox all night, and it attached many times.  So, it's not just responses.

Richard Brust

Re: this issue happening because of using the "conversation view" in gmail - I do not use the conversation view.  Still happens.

Nickel Elite Contributor

I went ahead and turned if off for now - which is not good because I've been pushing the GMail integration for over a month now, and this is not something people would want to deal with.

I've also noticed a few more things regarded to this issue:

1. it seems everything will duplicate - new unread, reply unread, read, read replys, forwards, etc.  Basically, it just keeps attaching

2. also, the attaching is cumulative - i.e. msg1 gets attached, someone replies to msg1 with rply1 = msg1 gets attached again, with rply1.  I then reply to that message (i.e. "my" msg2) = msg1 gets attached *again*, rply1 gets attached *again*, and my reply msg2 gets attached.  I've just doubled the amount of History items = 3 copies of my original msg1, two copies of rply1, and one copy of msg2.  Confusing?  I'm just getting warmed up...

Furthermore, back to point #1, those 3 messages in example #2 keep getting attached, so the 6 becomes 12, then 18, and so on.

Lastly, anyone in the message, either To: or CC: gets all these messages attached - which is nice that they are all included, but not nice that if there's 4 people on the message, I now have 4 contacts with garbage in History.

Richard Brust

I had Sage Tech look at the issue in my system for two hours.  They could see that it was absolutely happening in my system, but could not make it replicate the issue in their system.  So they found the file that they thought was causing the issue, tweaked it and it SEEMS to be working properly now.  Both myself and my associate did the same thing and it appears good for her also.

1 - in your Windows start bar search box type      %appdata%

2- You should see a folder called     Roaming Folder

3-  In that folder you should see a folder called   Act Folder

4- In that folder you should see a folder called   Act Data

5- In that folder you should see a folder called     Google Sync

6- In that folder you should see a file called        HistoryRecordingResult.xml

7- Change the file extension to    .old  so it reads   HistoryRecordingResult.old

Close this out. Go back into Act!  Go to the Google Sync and choose the Record History option.  After it goes through the sync it will recreate the "History" folder and hopefully with out the glitch we were having. 

Lurea

This did not work for me, Support seemed not to be able to offer an answer other than don't record history?!

Setting the sync to every 2 hours seems to stop it duplicating. Support indicated that this is due to ACT! not completley building the history record before a new sync starts, it does not realise that it is already in the history. Delay the auto sync and it has time to completley update itself.

They advised that we should set it to every hour rather than every  every two hours, but we send a lot of e-mails!

Platinum Super Contributor

Luke, Thank you for posting the update.

Further update: The same situation was causing the duplication in Lurea's environment. Having stopped the scheduled sync and using the manual Record History option has stopped the duplication for her.
Greg Martin
Sage