Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

GDI Objects are not releasing and causing ACT! 2011 to crash.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Re: GDI Objects are not releasing and causing ACT! 2011 to crash.

We have customisations to the fields and the layouts but not the menus. The problem seems to occur when we navigate to the documents tab and there are a number of documents attached more than 10  i.e excel / pdf / etc it tries to show the bitmap image for the icon next to the document and then bang we get the error message up and it crashes or it just crashes. At this point its the ctrl-alt del to get it to close , this doesn't always close it and its a power off of the computer because the whole computer has locked.

You can probably imagine how frustrating this is, we upgraded from 2010 as we wanted to go to Office 2010 , this has been a very bad decision.

Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor

So if you don't have thumbnails view enabled for the folder, then you won't have the problem

It may be a command line control in Windows 7 rather than the simple folder View menu option that is easily available in Windows XP.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor

It would be possible to convert the data back by export from 2011 and then import into 2010 but it will likely a big job.

I don't know that you would be any better off however.

Graeme Leo

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Its not trying to reproduce the thumnail just the icon.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

UPDATE

I have found a fix temporarily that stops ACT from crashing and will display the icons in the documents tab , most of our machines run NVIDIA Cards with eith VIsta or Windows 7 if you roll back the driver to 197.45_desktop_win7_winvista_32bit_international_whq.exe download form the NVIDIA Site which changes the driver to the April 2010 everything works much better.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Yikes!!

This doesnt sound good.   I just received the 2011 Upgrade, now not understanding this, should I install it?   I can't take the chance to install and then for the database to be compromised and then have to revert to 2008 ACT Premium.   Whats a guy to do?

Jim

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Can one of you techies chime in and let me know if this should be something for me to be concerned about?   Thanks Jim

Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor

Maybe.... :-)

It is part environmental and part user habit where it arises.

Generally larger sites where you have enough people interacting with the database and a large/old  database with lots of history on view. As one of the other respondents mentioned it can be video driver related. If people are doing  a lot of lookup and screen view changes that's a problem. 

Fundamentally it is a video resource issue that can manifest in various ways where ACT! does not release GDI as it should. We found ACT! 2009 was the worst and it has tended to get better.   

Graeme Leo

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

We were using 2010 premium, we did not have these issues, the main reason we updated 2011 was to use office 2010 , in retrospect `i wish we had stayed with the 2010 version, I hope that a fix is being worked on perhaps someone could comment as we totally rely on ACT for the smooth functioning of the business, the impact of these issues in a small business has been dramatic.

Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor

Andrew,

You have highlighted the complexity of the issue. I notice that there has been no comment by Sage in this thread, it would be appropriate for us to have some indication as to what progress is being made to resolve this. I do hope this isn't in the 'too hard' basket...... Care to comment Sage?   

Graeme Leo