Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

GDI Objects are not releasing and causing ACT! 2011 to crash.

Copper Contributor

GDI Objects are not releasing and causing ACT! 2011 to crash.

I'm an ACC doing an upgrade for a client with 25 users to ACT! 2011. After initial install earlier this week, we began experiencing frequent crashes related to GDI Objects. On each workstation, I have configured Windows task manager to show GDI objects (Processes Tab) and selected option to keep it on top so I can monitor. I have positioned the Memory usage column next to the GDI Objects column so I can compare the relationship. When switching between Contact Detail and List views (this simulates a lookup), GDI objects jumps by 500 to 700, so after 6 or 7 clicks ACT! 2011 crashes and must be closed and restarted. Memory usage also increases with GDI but I have set actdiag to release memory every 60 seconds. Memory is released consistently but ACT! will not let go of the GDI objects. I have disabled all com add ins to no avail. Additionally, I created a new database with only 1 user record and no custom layouts or custom fields; same problem. To make sure there was no conflict with other applications, I set up virtual machines in Hyper V on a 2008 R2 test server with different OS (XP Pro SP3 (x86) 4GB and Windows 7 64bit 4GB). The virtual machines have no other applications installed except ACT! 2011 (they are completely pristine). On the virtual machines (in both OS), GDI handling still increases steadily when switching between list and detail views and although it does drop slightly after brief pauses between switching, GDI never returns to initial levels right after opening ACT!. Oddly enough, on the server (2008 Server R2 64bit 16GB dual quad cores) ACT! 2011 manages GDI like a charm. Any ideas? Mike Lazarus, please (if you would) get the word to the people at Sage who can do something about this. If anyone knows who to contact, it's you (thanks btw). This is apparently a coding issue. ACT! has always had issues with GDI objects but this version is the worst I've experienced.
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: GDI Objects are not releasing and causing ACT! 2011 to crash.

GDI Objects was a problem with ACT! 2009 and to a lesser extent in ACT! 2010.

I have been testing with ACT! Pro 2011 and the demo database and was unable to get the database to crash by switching between Detail and List view, with History tab in focus. I do understand what you refer to as what you describe readily crashed an ACT! 2009 database as the GDI objects avalanched to 7000. The variable, I believe is the amount of history contained in the History tab, an older database with lots of History will be most prone to the problem.

Observations

On testing with the ACT! demo database, ACT! Pro 2011 Gold Release, on an XP Pro SP3, 3GB RAM machine; I can get the GDI count to steadily grow to beyond 7000. This is better than ACT! 2009 which avalanched to 7000 and crashed, from about 4600. What I do notice is that the content of the History tab disappears at around 6000. It just does not display, indicating saturation. Interestingly if I do a Lookup of my My Record at that point I do see the History come into view. That behavior would point to a resource issue. However why GDI isn't released is a mystery.

Overall with that limited testing, it looks like it has improved over the 2009 release, but the fundamental problem of not releasing GDI resource still remains.       

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Contributor

I am having the same problem, does anyone know a workaround ?  our database has a lot of history on the documents tab and this seems to crash it every time, ACT 2011 is practically unusable. I have tried changing the GDI registry settings  as recommended , this doesnt resolve the problem, Im at a loss to what to try next .

Help !

Bronze Elite Contributor

What version of ACT! ?

What do you mean by  "has a lot of history on the documents tab" ?

What are you doing before it crashes?

Graeme Leo

Copper Contributor

Im running 2011 Premium , when we go tto he documents tab they typically have PDF attachments and it waits for a bit then you get the Screen Compatible bitmap cannot be created The Screen bitmap format cannot be detemined we have tried the following :-

1. Adjusting the GDI values in the registry
  2. Installing and reinstalling ACT
  3. Downloading the latest drivers both Windows and Video Card
  4. Upgrading the Video Card
  5. Upgrading the Computer
  6. Adjusting the memory release on ACT
  7. Clearing all cleared activitiies todos and reindexing
  8. Adjusting Windows graphics settings to performance

We are running Windows 7 , it makes the ACT System unusable, any help gratefully received.

Bronze Elite Contributor

1. Was it once alright or has it always been a problem?

2. Are you moving between records, with the documents tab in view to cause it to occur?

3. If you have the History tab in view rather than Documents does it exhibit the same problem.

4. How many users and is the problem common to all users/machines?

Graeme Leo

Copper Contributor

1. Was it once alright or has it always been a problem?

It was intermmitent to begin with and now on all machines 

2. Are you moving between records, with the documents tab in view to cause it to occur?

No we navigate to the documents Tab once in the record

3. If you have the History tab in view rather than Documents does it exhibit the same problem.

No

4. How many users and is the problem common to all users/machines?

8 Users all machines

Copper Contributor

Could anyone tell me if we are able to technically convert the database back to the 2010 Version and if so how it could be done without reverting to backups of the original Database.

Copper Contributor

The GDI problem on our network that was causing ACT! 2011 to crash with GDI error is occurring because of menu customizations (I added a menu Item called Templates and then put shortcuts to commonly used templates under that item).  I discovered this by creating a virtual machine with a fresh OS install and adding applications and customizations one step at a time while monitoring GDI objects.

ACT! 2011 had no problem handling GDI objects until I added the customized menus.  After adding a single customization, ACT! starts to hang on to GDI objects.  The more customizations the more GDI objects it hold to. 

With one shortcut (customized command for a document template) added to the menu, ACT! utilized 2100 GDI objects right after starting it up.  ACT! then grabs about 50 to 100 GDI objects with each lookup or switch from detail to list view and does not release them.  With 12 shortcuts (customized commands to 12 different document templates) added to a custom menu item, ACT! utilized 2100 GDI objects right after starting it up and then grabs about 500 to 1000 GDI objects with each lookup or switch from detail to list view and does not release them.

The size of the database, number of customized fields, different layouts, notes or history didn't make a difference in our case.  I deleted the preferences that included the customized menus and ACT! goes back to handling GDI objects with no problems.

Sage, this needs to be fixed.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Sorry, there isn't any option other than to revert to an ACT! 2010 backup.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129