Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Formatting a long History on Report

Formatting a long History on Report

Hi all,

I am in a situation where the standard Notes/Histories report is not perfoming correctly.

A long history entry ( a letter to a client) is in a larger font, therefore on the report it is formatted so that it is slightly indented to the right, and then the text is printed over the footer all the way to end of page. Then the rest of the history (the right edges of sentences and the lines that would not fit) is not printed. The next page starts with the next history item.

How can I solve this problem?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Formatting a long History on Report

There isn't any solution. The report engine doesn't have a provision for any kind of page break, either manual or automatic, during the printing of a single data field. If the data won't fit on the remainder of the page, it will break to a new page and print the data but if it exceeds the length of the page, the data that exceeds one page won't be printed.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks for your response.

Sad to see that there is no better report engine.

I found that I can get partly around the problem by printing to an html file.

At least this will remove rich text formatting of the note entries in ACT!.

The html file doesn't print perfectly, but is better than the standard method.

Does anyone know of a method to remove the rich text formatting of the details field? (possibly using VBasic in the report?)

So there's absolutely no way to continue the note onto the new page? This is really inconvenient for reporting and updating clients during meetings.  There's no use to a note if I can't read after where it stops at the bottom of the page.  Do you know if the ACT! team is working on resolving this?

Thanks,

Megan

Platinum Elite Contributor

The issue is in the underlying report engine and no I don't see any way for that to change. I believe that most report program would behave in a similar fashion.  A report program isn't a word processor and page breaks are handled between report sections, not within a section..
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Okay...thanks for your help!