Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Folder Attachment to Documents tab

Tuned Listener

Folder Attachment to Documents tab

[ Edited ]

Hi, I would like to attach a 'folder' to a document tab, rather than just a file.

I was be able to create a shortcut file to a folder and attach it to a document tab, however when I double click on this newly attached file, I get"There was an error opening the attachment. It may have been deleted by another user, created on a database that does not synchronise attachments, or you may not have access to the file path"

I also follow the exact steps in this Knowledgebase article:

How to Add a Folder to Your Documents Tab in ACT! 

Any clues? Thanks in advance.

[Edit: shortened link to KB article]

Message Edited by ghollister on 03-11-2010 08:44 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Folder Attachment to Documents tab

Tuned Listener

Thank GLComputing, Can you please elaborate how that can be done?
Tuned Listener

I do not want to add any extra fields in the contact page, just able to add folders links (many) into the document tab. Any tips anyone?
Platinum Elite Contributor

It's a bit tricky in the Documents tab because the functions are designed for docs...

You could try creating an HTML page and adding the links to the page?

Nickel Super Contributor

It won't work, even if you can get the shortcut there, ACT! won't let you open a folder that way.  Personally I'd use a field as well, but if you really need the ability to link multiple folders without creating fields, you could use Topline Designer.  You'd create a custom table for folder links and each record would just contain the folder you want to link to.
Len Kamerman
ACT! Certified Consultant

Act E-mail Marketing Trainining Course:

http://actsoftware.training
Tuned Listener

Can someone know why do they have this knowledge based article, when it is clearly doesn't work? or am I missing something?

How to Add a Folder to Your Documents Tab in ACT! 

Tuned Listener

Same boat.

I can add the folder just fine using the *.lnk but when clicking the folder in act i get the same error.  

I can link shortcuts to the file inside the folder i'm trying to link just fine.  They pull up but linking the actual folder shortcut like the help article shows does not work.

JM
Nickel Contributor

If your ACT users are on a LAN network and all PC's are configured to access a shared folder on a network or a PC shared folder such as drive path Y:\\Quotes\2010> than the ACT Shortcut should work. From My Computer see how the path appreas on each system and what ar the access rights.

If you have remote users the only way they have access to that shared folder is a VPN setup.

JM

Tuned Listener

I've tried that already.  I have mapped a network drive (MSmiley Happy and using hamachi vpn i can pull up shortcuts to files on the network drive from any remote location, but just can't pull up a shortcut to a folder.  Always gives that error.