Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Filter "user" emails from being attached

Copper Contributor

Filter "user" emails from being attached

Can Act2009 filter out emails to NOT attach to histories?

Example - if a contact "IsUser" we don't want emails internal to other "IsUser" contacts to be attached or our DB will bloat beyond comprehension.

Can we instruct Act to not record history or attach emails sent between user contacts???

Nickel Contributor

Re: Filter "user" emails from being attached

On the record for each of the users, ensure that their email address is removed. This will prevent emails sent between users of the database being attached to ther history tab.

Trevort Lever

ACT Consultant - UK

www.trevorleverconsulting.com

Trevor Lever

UK - ACT Certified Consultant
www.actpartners.co.uk
trevor@actpartners.co.uk
Copper Contributor

I have read that elsewhere, however that means when the user generates a quotation to send to a customer or prospect it will not autofill their email on our quote form.

Just another less than adequate solution requiring a workaround courtesy of Sage.

Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yup, you can workaround by either

a) have a quote template for each user with the email address in the template, or

b) create another field to hold the the email address with a type "character" rather than "email" inserted into the quote template.

Message Edited by Trevor Lever on 04-30-2009 01:34 AM
Trevor Lever

UK - ACT Certified Consultant
www.actpartners.co.uk
trevor@actpartners.co.uk
Copper Contributor

The idea of using multiple quote templates with this software is nothing we want to mess with.

I've added a character field already - but now having issues with getting that field added to the template (already in another thread).

We are seriously frustrated with the glitches and bugs in this software. One would think they'd be beyond this with a piece of software that has been on the market for as long as it has....must be staffed with ex-MS employees!

What about setting up an "act only" email address to put in the User's record.

Suppose my user record says "joshACT@domain.com", and my mailserver will resolve it back to my "real" email address: "josh@domain.com".

If I then make sure that other ACT users or scripts are using "josh@domain.com" to send me emails *unless* they want it to show up in my user record, will this resolve the issue?  

i.e. is it true that emails from another ACT user to "josh@domain.com" *will not* be copied into my ACT user record and emails to "joshACT@domain.com" *will*?

Copper Contributor

My solution to our original problem involved creating a field for email addresses for internal and external users. It's a strictly text field so Act doesn't recognize it as an email address. I've pointed the template field to it and Word still recognizes it as an email address making it linkable in the quote itself.

Not the best solution, but easier than doing multiple quote templates or trying some fricackta mailserver resolving scripts and the like.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Although the removal of emails from user records is the "easiest", your post about not filling in email addresses in a quote is understood.  How about this:  in the Outlook rule, add another condition/exception to not attach on emails with the domain mycompany.com.  This should take care of inbound emails, as for outbound, I just set the ACT! History to record None

It's not a perfect solution, but I guess you have to figure out which is the least painful - how many quotes do you do, and would manually adding an email to a quote be easier than remembering to choose to record None in the history for internal emails.

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Copper Contributor

We stopped using the outlook rule for inbound because it took too long to resolve and led to frequent outlook crashes. Thread searches led us to find that the crashes were generally caused by invalid email address. Filtered out/corrected all we could find (having to dump to excel first) but still crashed so we chucked the idea and told reps to use the quick attach feature for inbound customer communications.

Mapping the newly added text field "useremail" (not an "email" field) to the quote template solved the issue of the user email address not appearing on the quote.