Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

File attachment differences between XP and Win 7

Copper Elite Contributor

File attachment differences between XP and Win 7

from a client:

We have recently discovered an issue in ACT between Windows 7 machines and XP.

The issue is when a XP user is trying to open a shortcut attachment from ACT they get the following error message ”There was an error opening the attachment.  It may have been deleted by another user, created on a database that does not synchronize attachments, or you may not have access to the file path.”

This happens when a Windows 7 user attached the original shortcut.  Other Windows 7 users can open the attachment. But not XP users.

I did a simple test of attaching a PDF or Excel document in ACT making it either a shortcut or a file that could be opened. I tried this between Windows 7 and XP.

After testing attaching files in ACT between the two operating systems and was able to come to the conclusion that XP users only have an issue opening PDF and Excel documents that are attached as a Shortcut. When attached as a File there is no issue.

The spreadsheet below shows how I attached the file to ACT. Then what the file type is either a PDF or an .xlsx then which OS I created the file from and the OS I tried to open it from. Lastly what the outcome was.

What are your thoughts on this??

Geoffrey B. Boulden
Twelve/Three Marketing, Inc.
Buffalo, NY
ACT!
SageCRM
GoldMine
SQL Certifications
Copper Contributor

Re: File attachment differences between XP and Win 7

This is a rather old problem, we contacted our Act Certified Consultant about this, we contacted Sage Belgium about this, we posted this  on the forum, but they never fixed it.

Can find the old posts on the matter here.

In the we upgraded our computer park to Windows 7, except for 3 older PC's that hardly get used, so for us this is no longer a real issue.

This just shows however, how good the Sage support network is, we've contacted Sage Belgium, our ACC and posted on this forum many times, and only one time did they actually help us find a solution (read workaround).

Problems with the Sage Act Email client that comes with Act have been there since version 2010 and earlier, and still aren't fixed. Yet they release a new version without fail each year, in which they add a few features, create a few more bugs, and call it a day. Oh and charge us money for that too.

Copper Elite Contributor

Hi Geoff,

This was reported here in Australia by one of our consultants, and I was able to reproduce this in ACT! as well, I thought it was a defect. Until I tested it without ACT!

Test this out of ACT! and you will get the same results, so totally take ACT! out of the equation and just attach the short cut on a shared drive and try to open it from the XP machine you will get the same error, same thing with a windows7 machine, you will get the same error.  I have windows 7 machine I create a folder called ACT!_Test I share this folder and give every one full permissions, I then add a shortcut for a PDF,doc.xlsx and then I add the copy the files into the same folder. I can not open any of the shortcuts from a windows XP machine or windows 7 machine, but the copy files are fine.

If you get the time and are able to test this please post your finding back here.

Thanks,

Kurt Rosemann

Platinum Act! Consultants
Kurt@ActiveSales.net | www.ActiveSales.net | 877-569-8005
Copper Contributor

Actualyl Kurt. As I mentioned in the post I linked to, If we browse to the Act database files\Attachments folder and open the shortcut manually on XP, it works. Yet it doesn't when opening this same shortcut through Act.

The message you get while in Act is a dialogbox from Act itself too, so I can't see how that could have anything to do with Windows.

Copper Elite Contributor

Hello Europower,

Try the steps I provided, you will find that you're not able to open the files.

Create a shared folder on a windows 7 box, create some shortcuts, and create some normal files

Go to a another windows 7 machine or XP Machine, browse to the network share on the other windows 7 box,  do this through windows, not through ACT!

You will find that you will not be able to open the shortcuts, you will get an error, but you will be able to open the normal files without a problem.

This is a windows issue, I have searched goggle high and low and haven't been able to find an answer why

Thanks,

Kurt Rosemann

Platinum Act! Consultants
Kurt@ActiveSales.net | www.ActiveSales.net | 877-569-8005
Copper Contributor

I did try the steps you provided, and found that using windows itself, there is no problem.

Are you sure you're not making shortcuts to files that are on the pc on which you are making the shortcuts, if so then that is obviously the reason they won't open....

This is a Sage Act problem, of that I'm sure.