Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

File Size Confusion

Copper Contributor

File Size Confusion

We have about 42 users running ACT! 10.0.1 from 4 databases on one server.  What I don't understand is the purpose of a sync set.  My assumption is the smaller sync set would synchronize faster, be a smaller data file and run faster.  What I have experienced is the sync set with 9000 contacts is the same file size as the sync set with 52 contacts.  Both are about 700MB+.  So, where is the advantage to having smaller sync sets?

I have also found RDBs from the same sync set generate different sized files.  I created two RDB files from the same sync set and there was about 3MB difference in file size.  How do we account for that?

Continued success,

Larry

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: File Size Confusion

Remember that, if the sync set includes attachments, this might be the majority of the data. Differect sizes can be because different might have different info available. 

There are a number of sync improvements in 10.02 and Hotfix1 - you might try updating your system. Note - it needs to be done on ALL users and the sync server.

You can download the current update from http://www.act.com/support/updates/index.cfm and the Hotfix 1 from this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/4l28an

Copper Contributor

Thanks Mike,

Lots of material to read here.  I have been avoiding the update.  I have 42 users and over 25% of them are on remote databases.  Lots of computers to update at one time.

Have you done the updates yet?  Was there a lot of issues to deal with?

The update tells me I need to update the sync service which is available in the full download but I can't find the full download in the download center.  Does anyone know how to get it?

Continued success,

Larry

Platinum Elite Contributor

I do the updates day 1 :-)

The full version downloads were pulled and instead, the Hotfix article and links to just get the sync service

Some users have had an issue with the Hotfix when ACT! won't start after applying it... it needs an uninstall/reinstall and reapply patch and hotfix to fix. It's rare and seems to be manily users with some add-ons.