Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

File Manager, Dropbox Shared Among Users

Copper Contributor

File Manager, Dropbox Shared Among Users

My and my 3 partners share a dropbox account where we store all of our important business documents including client related documents.  We have the File Manager tab in Act v17.2 Premium and were wondering if there's a seamless way to integrate our dropbox right into Act.  Would it be that each user in their own remote database selects the path in file manager that points to the dropbox folder on their computer?

Hoping to get some clarification on this.

Thanks

Copper Super Contributor

Re: File Manager, Dropbox Shared Among Users

there is a code in the developers forum for adding dropbox tab to the client record.

This code allows you to link directly with dropbox and as long as your path name is consistent it will show you the whats there, mine is based on the clients first name and last name, so as you change contact the dropbox tab refreshes and changes as well.

Works very well for me

Jason Dawson Financial Planning
Brisbane | Australia - JDFP Home Page

Act Ver - Act! Premium Version 17.1.169.0, Hot Fix 3
OS - Windows 7 (stand alone machine)
MS Office - Enterprise 2007
Phone - Samsung Galaxy s6

Hi jason,

you soundl like someone who might be able to help me.  I have act 2010 and have been holding the database files in Dropbox.  the system now tells ne that my database files cannot be accessed, do you know of any way to get the files back again and Ill store them locally.

thanks in advance

Copper Super Contributor

Are you referring to the database main files? or just your contact's documents? I only store the backup files on Dropbox as i was told a little while ago that the database file itself cannot be done given that Dropbox is sync'ing AND Act is touching the database file all the time

Administrator

@JasonD Is correct. Main database files should not be stored in a dropbox folder as SQL server needs to access them and make edits which can't be done when dropbox is trying to sync, and cause issues. Storing backups in dropbox is fine.

Copper Contributor

JasonD wrote:
there is a code in the developers forum for adding dropbox tab to the client record.

This code allows you to link directly with dropbox and as long as your path name is consistent it will show you the whats there, mine is based on the clients first name and last name, so as you change contact the dropbox tab refreshes and changes as well.

Works very well for me

Hi @JasonD,

Do you know where I can find the version of the dropbox code you speak of? There are a few different dropbox implementations in the developer's forum.

Thanks

Copper Super Contributor

Now thats a good question, its been a little while since i downloaded it

Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Its the Web Context Browser add on from the developers forum

I have mine on a seperate tab in the contact deisgn and it points to the dropbox website

This is the address i use, it rips a few items from the contact so that it takes me straight into the contacts dropbox folder

https://www.dropbox.com/home/.............../Client Files - {Contact.Planning Num}/{Contact.Last Name}, {Contact.First Name}

Copper Contributor

Being a completely newbie to Act development and plugins, I wouldn't even know where to start with this. Me and my team currently use remote databases based on a Web Premium hosted install. All plugins it seems would have to be installed by my host provider?

Is it just me or is Swiftpage Act not as user friendly when it comes to adding new integrations/plugins? Maybe I'm just not accustomed to it but would like to find out how to implement some of these useful integrations.
Copper Super Contributor

Sorry mate, i have not knowledge or understanding of the hosted system, mine is just a standalone install

With that is rther simple

1) dump the dll file in the correct directory
2) add the custom unit to you layout design with its own settings
3) enjoy