Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Fields groups for layouts

Avid Listener

Fields groups for layouts

[ Edited ]

I've looked all over these groups and can't find it. 

For example, on the opportunity detail screen, the Process/Stage group.  In modify layout, I can't actually do anything to the process or stage fields.  They're in some type of group called stage I think.  That group was made some other way.  Same with radio button groups.

Seems like I remember something about this in ACC training all those yrs ago.  I can't find anything about it in the knowledgebase or news groups. 

I talked to tech support and they said it was something an ACC would do.  No kidding. 

So can somebody gimme a break and point me it the right direction?

Thanks huge!

Kevin Varnon
ClientTrax CRM
Kansas City
(785) 408-3702
kevin@clienttrax.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Fields groups for layouts

They are program defined objects and can't be modified.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Avid Listener

Thanks for responding.

So there's no way to make my own?  What about radio buttons?

Kevin Varnon
ClientTrax CRM
Kansas City
(785) 408-3702
kevin@clienttrax.com
Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hey Kevin,

Will try to help.

You have minimal info and more might help you expidite resolve.

Please also describe your goal more specifically if you can. Process/Stage is not a group.

http://community.act.com/t5/Act/PLEASE-READ-THIS-BEFORE-YOU-MAKE-A-NEW-POST/td-p/233496

Check out ACT! / Opportunities / Manage Process List

Check out ACT! / Tools / Define Fields

Be sure to backup your act! database and personal files daily and b4 doing big stuff.

File / Backup / Database etc...   - cheers - FSB Smiley Happy

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Avid Listener

OK, how bout this: how do you put radio buttons on a layout?  It's Act! 16 Premium, though I don't think it really matters.

Kevin Varnon
ClientTrax CRM
Kansas City
(785) 408-3702
kevin@clienttrax.com
Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kevin,

Terminology is important for accurate diagnosis, so can you provide me with more details of  how you want this Button to behave?

Are you perhaps wanting a Field with a DropDown List? ( Tools / Define Fields )

Or a Button / Control to do some other specific task?

FSB Smiley Happy

Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi

I think it would help us if put down what you want to achieve and then we can look at the best way of getting ACT to meet your needs.

Avid Listener

[ Edited ]

If you went to the opportunity screen and looked at the top middle the screen, you will find the Status radio buttons:

Status Radio Buttons.jpg

While you are still on the opportunity screen and you are an administrator. if you click on Modify layout, and again look at the top middle of the layout, you'll find something very similar to this: Opportunity Radio Buttons.jpg

When you are in the modify layout of the opportunity screen you can click on either one of the two sets of fields in the preceding image.  The two sets being "Status" and "Process/Stage". 

When you click on, say, the "Status" radio button group and press PF4, you will see this:

Opportunity screen.jpg

While you are looking at this screen, if you look under Data, you'll see an entry called "Field Value" and see that the value for this entry is "Status."  As far as I know, these are called Radio Buttons.

What I want to know is how do you make something like this.  How do you make Radio Buttons?  I don't want a list box or a drop-down list box. I just want radio button so I can choose only one of a few options.

If you were to click on the group that says "Process/Stage" you will find a similar situation in the Field Value.  In fact the value will be "Stage."  Stage was made in a similar manor as Status. 

I am an ACC, what I'm trying to find out is how are these things made.  I remember something about it in training, but that was a long time ago. 

If it is a secret, maybe you could tell me where I could get the secret handshake.

Kevin Varnon
ClientTrax CRM
Kansas City
(785) 408-3702
kevin@clienttrax.com
Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kevin,

Try SDK for the radio buttons as Roy mentioned above..

However, ACT! does have Yes/No Fields ( Tools / Define Fields ) create new field, select field type = yes/no..

The Process / Stage Fields are Fields with Drop Downs ( Tools / Define Fields ) Create new field(character).

Manage drop downs will allow you to create the Drop Down Table for desired field to use.( normally better to create the drop down table before creating the field that will be using it).

The fields then get applied to the layout when you edit layout. Toolbox on left, click Field and select field and where to add it to layout.

The word Group does not really apply to this post?

Recommend you create a Training Database and quickly learn on it how to create fields and modify layouts.

Recommend taking Daily backups of your ACT databases and Personal files and B4 doing any major stuff.

Is this what you are looking for?  Smiley Happy FSB  TGIF

Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi Kevin

Not a secret - do you feel up to using the SDK for ACT and maybe joining the developers lounge where things like this are discussed?

There are also a couple of ACT add ons where develpoers have writted software to allow this based on the SDK