08-19-2015 10:37 AM
I have Act! Premium version 126.96.36.199 Hot Fix 3. My OS is Windows 7. Though this is a web version, it operates as a stand alone desktop version. I'm using Excel 2010 to import data.
I customized some fields in the Contact layout for important info. The fields that I created that used numbers did not fill. In the Excel spreadsheet I did have the error "Numbers stored as text" and the little green arrow, but have now just corrected that so all those columns are now numbers.This was corrected AFTER i did the import yesterday. In some of the columns there were "$" that I took out. One field I desiganted as a "Character" field when it should have been numbers. I have one field that I designated as a number field (Building square Feet) that should have popul;ated but never did.
here are the fields that I created that did not populate and how they were designated:
Now, I see when I look up Define Field I see Zip Code is defined as a Character field yet it popuplates just fine.
1.Where did I error?
2. How do I fix it
3. How do I fix it and not get duplicate contacts so the proper numbers go to the proper contact?
4. have I left out any information that will help with this problem?
08-24-2015 02:13 PM - edited 08-24-2015 02:18 PM
Thank you for submitting your post. Looks like you are having an issue importing data from an Excel spreadsheet into your web-based database. If you have customized fields within your Excel spreadsheet, you will need to select the customized import option from the wizard so you can create the fields within Act. If you already have the fields added in the database, you will need to map the data using the mapping tool in the Wizard. Below I have attached the link to the Knowledgebase Article that may assist you in fixing this issue:
08-19-2015 01:00 PM
To provide answers to all cases I would need to examine the Excel file but some questions I can answer.
A number or currency field in ACT! can only have a single value. A range isn't possible.
Corporate Sales designated as Currency (using the $ sign)
ACT! would see that as a character field because of the $ sign. Import it as number and designate the field in ACT! as currency.
Zip Code is generally a character field because of the need to show leading zeros
08-19-2015 02:24 PM
Thank you for the reply.
"A number or currency field in ACT! can only have a single value. A range isn't possible" Is there a way to make a range possible? If I format the Excel file differently and designate the Sales Range Field definition as "Character"?
I'm assuming that there is a conflict between how the Excel columns are formatted and the Field Definitions.
08-19-2015 02:54 PM
A character field for a range would be useless if the range values are to be used. The best would be two fields, one for the minimum value for the range and the second for the maximum value.
Importing the field data types need to be compatible. Even internally ACT! will allow some copying between data types but will give a warning about possible data loss.
08-20-2015 09:56 AM
Thanks again Roy.
Sounds like the solution is format the Excel columns as numbers and define the fields as currency.
However, do I delete the old database to perform a new import?
If not, how do I make sure that the blank fields are populated with the proper data for each contact without having duplicates or new contacts with just those fields populated?
Thanks again Roy!
08-20-2015 10:38 AM
If this is a new database that you're creating with an import then yes, delete all the existing records and do an new import. For databases with existing contacts you can use the lookup by is imported or import date. Personally when importing into an existing database I make a safety backup that I can restore if the import goes bad.
08-20-2015 07:32 PM
Thanks again Roy.
I deleted all contacts and tried a number of corrections/change in formats.
Nothing worked, so I deleted the entire database and started from scratch.I created a few custom fields and defined them as "Numbers".
I then formatted the appropriate Excel columns as "Number".ag=fter stripping out any "$" and also found a way to give a range with a single number.
The custom fields still did not fill!
I am at a lost.
08-22-2015 01:40 PM
At this point I have no further suggestions. I would need to do direct troubleshooting to try and find a solution.