Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Fields Horizontal Gaps

Fields Horizontal Gaps

I have act sage premium version v2009 (11.0) I need help with a feature that may or does exist.

I have a custom report where I have fields that represents a list of items, a field per item.

I have the fields setup from top to bottom, I want to make it where, if a field is blank, the one below it, pushes itself up. basically all fields that are empty to shrink, but at the same time the fields below it that hava info, to shift up.

=========================================================================== 

Example 1:

what it does now-

Tent

Poles

Rope

Mat

Stove

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Example 2: 

what is want it to do-

Tent

Poles

Rope

Mat

Stove

===========================================================================

Notice the gap between (rope) and (mat) in example 1, if a field is blank I want it to shift up, like example 2.

setting the field properties to shrink, doesn't work. Tech support was no help, they refer me back to knowledge base about the script to shrink in addresses, that works for shifting to the left, but not up. I would appreciate some help from some one!!!!

Cesar Barbosa
IT Assistant Manager
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Fields Horizontal Gaps

The Can Shrink property works, I use it all the time. There must be some other issue with the design of your template.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

the shrink feature does work, when you want them to shift to the left, like the example in support about the address. but when shifting up, that doesn't work. try it even with one of the default reports that come with ACT.
Cesar Barbosa
IT Assistant Manager

The Can Shrink property only works to move fields up in a column. I do it all the time.

What you seem to be referring to is using a custom field and a concatenating expression to close up space in a city, state zipcode line and that has nothing to do with the Can Shrink property for a field.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

can I email a pic to show you how the report looks when i run it, it is info on contacts and a list of items per contact, if the field is empty it retains that spot on the report. In the pic you see the gap, and the next item on my list, does not shift up. I want to know if there is a way for fields to shift up.
Cesar Barbosa
IT Assistant Manager

You can send me an email but if it is the results from running the report, that won't help. Your problem is with the report template and I would need to examine the template itself to determine the problem. However, I can assure you that the Can Shrink field property does work if used properly.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129