Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Fields Deleted from Test Database Also Deleted from Main DB!!

Copper Contributor

Fields Deleted from Test Database Also Deleted from Main DB!!

Help! 

I have a test database, stored in separate directories, different names.  I just now have a realized a HUGE problem.  I deleted some fields FROM THE TEST DATABASE, and the fields were deleted in the Main Database!!!  I'm guessing the only way to recover from it is to restore a backup, backup the main database from today and then manually make the updates that occurred??!!

(I'd posted a question yesterday that changes to the layout in the test db were made in the main databasel, and investigating this problem led to finding this one.) 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Fields Deleted from Test Database Also Deleted from Main DB!!

Somehow you aren't using what you think is the test database but the main database. What you're desctibing isn't possible if you're actually using two separate databases.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I had similar happen to me last night.  I created a new database under a different name and imported some contacts(different contacts) from a spreadsheet and saved it....the name of the new database is in the upper left corner.   This morning when I opened the old database(the one that did not have the import)  I have greyed out fields and the data is missing in those fields.  How can it be restored?

To say that it is not possible seems odd in that I now have two seprate files of names and the same fields that are greyed out in the layout?   How did it happen to both files then?

Copper Contributor

I was definitely in the test database.  In the first place, everyone else was working in the main database, and it is not possible to delete fields while others are logged in.  I checked HELP --> ABOUT & the locations that the databases are pointing to those are correct. 

Roy, a little more detail -- I made a change to the List View columns in the test database & those changes were replicated over to every layout in the main database. 

I'm going to run Check & Repair, and Actdiag to compare a list of fields & see exactly what's missing.  Then I guess I'll delete the test database and create another.  (Note that I've used this testbase for months!)

So while I understand this problem SHOULDN'T be possible, it is. 

Any ideas?

Copper Contributor

jmucci14 -- I guess we've proved the impossible to be possible.  Smiley Happy

Copper Contributor

I too performed an import yesterday to the test database.  Wonder if that had anything to do with it? 

Platinum Elite Contributor

The list view columns is a local preferences setting that's not database specific so changes to  the list view columns made in one database will show in another database but has nothing to do with the actual database fields.

If removing fields in one database actually removed fields in another database then you have serious system problems. The ACT! program doesn't directly control the database structure, that's done by the MicroSoft SQL server. The ACT! program requests changes but the actual change is made by the SQL server.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Here's another question.  Any links added, edited, or deleted in the Web Info appear in the test database & vice versa.  Is this going to be a local preference also? 

If I delete the test database thru ACT, is there anything else I need to do to ensure all links, directories, etc., are deleted/cleared? 

Could it have been a change in the layout and if so, how do I change it back?  Or can I?  Thanks in advance.

Silver Contributor

it is not possible for changes in one database to spill over to another database unless your have set up sync.    changes in database fields, layouts, or data are all unique to each database.  

it should be easy to prove.  If you want to call me I"ll explain.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider