Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Field doesn't work properly

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Field doesn't work properly

Hi Act! Community When I set up a new contact then the field "salutation" should change automatically to "Mr" or "Mrs" according to the female or male first name. But what it does currently is that it sets the first name. (the field is set as a dropdown). How can I manage it that it change to the correct salutation without doing this manually. In Act! 6 it was no problem. Thanks for any help!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author User3011
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Field doesn't work properly

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, because it sounds like you want it to automatically put a Mr or Mrs there,

i.e. If the first name is Jane, make it Mrs, if it's John, make it Mr.

But this is problematic for two reasons:

1. If the first name is Chris, is that female or male. We don't know based on the first name. Very embarressing to address it wrongly...

2. If you've ever made the mortal sin of calling a Miss, Mrs, or a Ms a Mrs or Miss, and have managed to survive the ensuing fire, brimstone and daggers, you would never want to undertake the same action again.

I recommend people record Gender (Male, Female, Unknown) and ONLY use the Prefix for those individuals that insist on it, i.e Dr, Rev, Prof etc. Don't use the Mr/Mrs/Ms/Miss because it's not needed, it goes out of date when they get married or divorced, it's a problem waiting to happen.

Ben.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author User3011
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Field doesn't work properly

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, because it sounds like you want it to automatically put a Mr or Mrs there,

i.e. If the first name is Jane, make it Mrs, if it's John, make it Mr.

But this is problematic for two reasons:

1. If the first name is Chris, is that female or male. We don't know based on the first name. Very embarressing to address it wrongly...

2. If you've ever made the mortal sin of calling a Miss, Mrs, or a Ms a Mrs or Miss, and have managed to survive the ensuing fire, brimstone and daggers, you would never want to undertake the same action again.

I recommend people record Gender (Male, Female, Unknown) and ONLY use the Prefix for those individuals that insist on it, i.e Dr, Rev, Prof etc. Don't use the Mr/Mrs/Ms/Miss because it's not needed, it goes out of date when they get married or divorced, it's a problem waiting to happen.

Ben.