Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Field Level Merge

Tuned Listener

Field Level Merge

Recently we bought ACT Premium v. 11.0 to manage contacts. We managed to import all of our 4000+ contacts over to the ACT database from the webserver which has a SQL Server 2000 machine back end to it. The initial data import via csv was successful; however, some fields within the contact were blank (i.e. several fields exist that are not intially filled; but are filled as the contact accomplishes a particular goal). How would I update those blank fields? I have called ACT about this, and it depends who i am asking what the answer is. One person said this cannot be done without third party software because it is a field level merge. Another person has told me that if i have included a common value in the new csv (i.e. first name, last name, ssid) in addition to the updated data, ACT will take the said data and populate it into the blank fields. I have set duplicate checking on the DB to first name, last name, ssid, and no matter what i do ACT will make a duplicate entry with just the updated data in the csv. We have been doing this update manually and doing ~100 contacts one at a time isn't efficient. Any suggestions? If this has already been addressed, my apologies, point me in the right direction. Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Field Level Merge

If the fields you are importing to are blank, you can do it as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1421...

But with large numbers, it can take a very long time.

If there is any data in those fields and you're updating them, or you want to do it faster, then you need third-party software such as itImport

Tuned Listener

Thank you for the advice. Which leads me to the next question. The initial import had a csv with all the fields. If we do updates via csv import, how would the csv look? For example, the contact may have information in ACT set up as the following:

first_name

last_name

date_inquiry_submitted

--

fields containing personal info such as ssn, ph#, emergency contact

--

stage1status(blank)

stage1comment(blank)

stage2status(blank)

stage2comment(blank)

stage3status(blank)

stage3comment(blank)

I obtained data from the SQL Server and created a csv with the last 6 fields blank for the initial import. Now, if i was to import updated info, how would the csv look? Would I omit the fields containing personal info and create a csv with the 3 fields (first_name, last_name, date_inquiry_submitted, also set on duplicate checking for db) and the updated status? Or does it need to look exactly like the initial csv, including the updated fields? I most likely missed something, since i tried both attempts and ACT still created duplicate entries.

Thanks

I'm not sure which process you're talking about?

Also, what fields are you using for Duplicate Checking?

Tuned Listener

I'm talking about the process to import data via csv. I have set duplicate checking to the fields first_name, last_name, date_inquiry_submitted. Every week or so I need to update information for several records in ACT, so I would have to extract data from SQL Server 2000 into a csv and import the updated fields (I know it's cumbersome - cost to IT time wasn't factored in the process). So based on what you said earlier, if I was to import a csv, as long as those duplicate checking fields is in it, the rest of the csv's format is not critical? I guess in a nutshell... i'm not bound to the same format as the initial import csv? hope that clears it up.

Thanks

With the ACT! import, if there is any data in those fields, it will duplicate. Also, of course, the dupe checking fields must match

With itImport, it can actually get the updates directly from the SQL... no need for CSV