Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Fed up to the back teeth with ACT Synchroniszation

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Fed up to the back teeth with ACT Synchroniszation

My life changed when I put an SSD in my laptop!

Steve McCandlish
Bronze Elite Contributor

Can't agree more.It used to be that additional RAM was the best 'bang for the buck' in performance improvement for ACT! but now SSD is so cost effective and efficient. Old laptops have a new lease on life once you swap out those 5400 rpm drives for SSD. SQL is heavy on short I/O disk read/writes, the very area where SSD excels.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Astute Commentator

JohnmKlub

Can I please clarify here: are you saying that:

1. If we were to use a CISCO UCS or equivalent, we could access ACT for Desktop (and other services) via the Cloud?
  2. That would remove the need for individuals to have to synchronize their machines?
  3. This would also free up the laptop systems so that they will actually start to work at the expected speed again?
  4. If so, are we talking megabucks, and if so, are there alternative solutions given this is a small company?
Nickel Elite Contributor

I suspect that something may be wrong with the DB in this situation. The problem is the you cannot diagnose if properly and know that ACT has everything it needs to operate properly.

Please go the Share Your Ideas forum and KUDO my post: DATABASE INTEGRITY.

Not sure if you are aware: Ben informs us that dev work in ACTDIAG can be fast tracked as it does not have to go through the normal QA cycle. I am asking for an ACTDIAG menu system to go through and check to be sure everything is in place to have ACT work properly. I then want them to put in a utility to fix whatever is wrong.

Jean spoke with another CC yesterday who reported a site o 300 sync users suddenly having all sort of trouble. If you think this is a worthly utitlity, tell two other CCs that you know to also Kudo the idea.

Steve McCandlish
Astute Commentator

Steve, I've done what you ask and agree that would be a useful thing to have.

However, I would still much prefer a database solution where the database doesn't reside on indiviual machines, resulting in the need for regular synchronisation and slow running, but having tried Act for Web for 18 months, it doesn't provide the flexibility/functionality I need, which is why I was so interested in the idea suggested further up this thread re Cisco (or equivalent?)...  I'm keeping fingers crossed this is a practical and financially viable solution.