Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Fatal Design Flaw or Major Nuisance?: Issue with date fields in Act 2007 and 2008

Fatal Design Flaw or Major Nuisance?: Issue with date fields in Act 2007 and 2008

Does anyone know who to tell about an issue that needs to be fixed within Act? Where ever there is a date field; if a person has a scroll wheel mouse (who doesn't?); if you try to go elsewhere to view and you scroll; the date changes; so if you type in one date and accidentally leave your mouse in that field and then you scroll to move around the whole screen moves but the date field also scrolls and changes the date.

Please make a note of this if you have ever had some kind of mix-up with dates. And if someone can tell me how to fix it manually that would be great; for now my only option is to change all the date fields to just fields without the little dropdown calendar.

In regards to that option; does anyone know if I change the fields from date fields to normal text fields; will I lose the data or should I transfer the info to another blank field so that I can transfer it back later? Thanks.

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Fatal Design Flaw or Major Nuisance?: Issue with date fields in Act 2007 and 2008

Rockstar1 wrote:

Does anyone know who to tell about an issue that needs to be fixed within Act? Where ever there is a date field; if a person has a scroll wheel mouse (who doesn't?); if you try to go elsewhere to view and you scroll; the date changes; so if you type in one date and accidentally leave your mouse in that field and then you scroll to move around the whole screen moves but the date field also scrolls and changes the date.

Please make a note of this if you have ever had some kind of mix-up with dates. And if someone can tell me how to fix it manually that would be great; for now my only option is to change all the date fields to just fields without the little dropdown calendar.

In regards to that option; does anyone know if I change the fields from date fields to normal text fields; will I lose the data or should I transfer the info to another blank field so that I can transfer it back later? Thanks.

Rockstar1, you're right, very annoying. I've had these kinds of things happen quite a bit.

Not sure what you're using your field for, but one thing that was helpful for us is that we marked "Track History" on the field. It still allows the date to change from the scroll wheel, but at least the information it contained is not lost.

Re: Fatal Design Flaw or Major Nuisance?: Issue with date fields in Act 2007 and 2008

Well; that tracking history is the only thing that has saved us headaches; but people point fingers without knowing and this is only causing headaches because it's something so subtle yet very disturbing. For example someone that has no idea generates a document and sends it out with the incorrect doctor's appointment or any such important information; and we wouldn't be aware until later when the client complains or any such similar scenario. Tracking history doesn't help except to clear out the mistake but doesn't prevent it.

I really hope that someone can address this issue with Act!; would be nice to get a hotfix or something similar.
Nickel Elite Contributor

Rockstar1 wrote:

That is an issue with Focus (where the entry point is set) and is not unique to the ACT! program. In many cases, when you select anything from a dropdown list, the focus stays in that field until you physically click the mouse somewhere else than that field. Typically I don't experience the problem in ACT! because I tab to another field or click in another field but I do experience it frequently when navigating on WEB forms.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com